It's official: Pirates crack Vista at last

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pedro, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Apcmag.com

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I guess they should have spent more than a paltry $7 billion on wga, security & piracy prevention. :D

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Didn't we all knew that sooner or later...

:D :D :D :D LMAO :D :D :D :D

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, it had to happen. Let's see when it gets totally cracked...

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Right indeed, but I doubt if it would help. M$ isn't inventive enough and their security is based on imitation. Money doesn't make you smarter.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I don't think Windows will ever be crack-proof, or anything really for that matter.

It hasn't failed yet, build something nobody can crack and you'll have a line of people waiting to prove you wrong.

It's kinda like a safe. There is no such thing as an uncrackable safe, just some take longer to get into. Thats why they are rated on minutes required to crack.

Windows should be rated the same way. :cool::p

7. ErikAlbert

I'm not asking for an uncrackable Windows, I'm asking for a Windows that recovers itself during reboot.
    A Windows that controls itself completely and removes any unvalid change automatically, even when it takes a longer reboot.
    Now I have to do it myself, using softwares like FirstDefense-ISR to get back what I had yesterday.
    Not only Windows should do this, but also each application.
    Verifying your own software, must be easy for each company, because it has been created by themselves.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In other words, spending their time on what really matters. Not the impossible.
    I should also state the obvious: these crackers could also do better things with their lives. If anyone want free software, they can get it, if they want Vista, why not pay what they ask you? No excuses here either.

9. ErikAlbert

These crackers, don't have any respect for someone else's property.
    They are all organized and work together, like any other company.
    Once I saw a video, which was created by them, to celebrate their 10,000th crack program, telling everybody how good they are and each cracker was mentioned with his nick name of course.

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

it is funny that Windows is, and has been, one of the most easily cracked software there is (well atleast easiest to get hold of I guess), they still make money like, well..eh like Bill Gates?, they still bother try to protect it. I mean it is useless. People who want to use software for free will use it for free. period. Obviously there are still people who still chose to pay regardless of if the software is crackable or not.

The "protection" is only making things hard for honest people, not the ones who "steal" or whatever you want to call it. I dont know if I should say this but I did buy Windows XP pro but got so tired of having to register my software, even if it didnt happen that often: But enough to make me mad, that I who paid for the software, had to do that and not the pirates, so I used a Corp key and I could use the software without getting annoyed.

Or maybe it is the fact that it is so easy to crack windows that makes it the preferred OS?

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not anymore, but i remember when it was easily copied and cracked. Windows became dominant...

12. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi guys...

Before reading on (I guess I'm gonna get flamed on that one), please remember that I'm a brand new Knoppix user, and that I installed it on dual boot beside my WXPSP2. It's on a laptop (!), and I like the result, even if some things are not quite as smooth as I'd like to (pcmcia undetected, and reading of dvd's is full of bumps)...

I dislike piracy, but that's not my point here... What I'd like to stress is this: why would so many "honest users" choose to use pirated M$ softs? Why don't more of these people use Linux or other free solutions? Very easy to figure out: Because those alternative solutions haven't been able to attract many users.

Anyway, one may label M$ incompetent or dumb, but the sure fact is that they're intelligent enough to:

mass-produce software that 90 (!) percent of average users know and use and like and want;

make commercial deals with more hardware vendors than any other competing companiy;

be sensitive to the fact that the vast majority of customers first and formemost want compatibility and immediately-running computers;

deliver easy-to-use tools as far as communication is concerned (I'm thinking of msn messenger and the likes...);

have such an impact in the pc world that third party companies are happily eager to try and compensate for the OS's weaknesses (antivirus*, hips, firewall, and so on)... and be able to make a living on it!

[*I still have to see one (!) real-time antivirus able to run on Linux. Clamwin is manual scan only, and not that good IMHO (eicar testing file, when compressed a sufficient number of times, is no longer detected by clamwin... Talk about security).]

To make a long story short, M$'s success is called capitalism, and at least they were smart enough to understand and take advantage of its dynamics.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Quick comment before bed, although i'd like to comment it all:

First, they chose Windows because they really don't know anything else other than MS and Apple. They hear something about "Linux", and dismiss it when the word "geek" pops.

There are no mass production of software.
    What others? Apple that lost due to high pricing? Or GNU that had no real voice when it mattered? GNU is free software, not a company.
    Apple seems to do a far better job.
    Snowball evolving from above. Market= atractive.
    Yes, and almost nothing to do with inovation. Bill Gates is a cunning business man. Took advantage of a perfect opportunity, which he himself created, to be fair.

As for AVs for "Linux", check wikipedia and count how many virus were ever made for "Linux", and if they even worked.
    This is a new reality for most of us, but i have been reading.
    I suggest you start from the link in my signature, gnu.org, and read about GNU/Linux (why it's not "Linux"), what's free software, who's Stallman.:thumb:

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Its better to have 1 million pirate using your OS than NOT, as that is 1 million less users for your competitor.
    Making XP pirate-proof was not high up the priority list, nor is it in Vista. What is their agenda is to try and encourage the purchase of licences from pirates, rather than stopping them in their tracks.

Just look at the numbers (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37507).

MS according to their WGA stats claims that 22% of users, 114 MILLION are pirates... now imagine if they totally stopped these pirates, thats a potential of 114 million more MAC/LINUX etc users... the market impact would be amazing for these minority OS, conversly, MS would suffer big time.

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: From my reading on offshore(I am in North America) web sites, there are some publications re Vista's cracked activation patches made by or with Softmod, valid for all four versions. It is truly an alarming reminder that often crooks can be a pain on the neck, coming and going , never has an ending sight. And what makes us more furious is that they may at this moment celebate their triumph(hoping is a short-lived one), :mad:

16. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hard to believe these are detected since there's no competent AV to spot them.

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

This is totally incorrect, This method of so called cracking has already caught Microsofts Eye :cautious: Each Computer that is Activated with Vista, is uniquely asigned a Digital ID. The users PC Generates a Product Code Number for the Version of Windows Vista Installed. Each Code is logged and registered in Microsofts Databank, An incorrect (such as pirated) Serial Number will be rejected. Serial Numbers that Pirates try to Activate via Telephone Activation to Microsoft will be detected and Blocked. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Serials are Also Listed in Microsofts Databank, any Serial and Computer ID that is Activated by this Method that is Not Registered in Microsofts OEM Listing, will be disabled once the User updates His PC ;)

Tough Luck if you think you got away with this, Its only a matter of time before It will deactivate and stop Working :shifty:

18. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

From the description I was under the impression that the computer would not contact Microsoft at all to activate. It would just already be in an activated state.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why should people give MS anymore money doesnt bill have enough already?
    why denote to his pention fund:D

ps i only use legal software and pay for software
    lodore

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You don't need an AV to study viruses for "Linux". You need research, the same research that AV companies do to add the signatures.
    And there are AV's for "Linux".

21. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Wonderful how people rub their hands with glee when a company that has great success gets hacked.

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Great success thanks to dubious practices :rolleyes:

23. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I'm not joyful that people cracked Windows. I'm joyful that people offer resistance to the MS monopoly, average quality, high prices, and extortion. It's the underdog story. David and Goliath.

Like I wrote, you render the whole piracy issue invalid by offering free version for home use. End of story. If MS did this, they would boost their popularity, customers loyalty, increase sales and earn even more money since most home users use pirated Windows anyhow.

Mrk

24. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Because they don't learn from their mistakes :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.