It's a big shame.......

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Big Apple, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Just can't believe my eyes, reading all this trouble about the " NEW " Nod32.
    Where's the limit in keeping on trying and adjusting this program till something comes up, looking like how it was.
    I think it's a very damn shame, that this is happening with this 'used to be' great program. Complete systems are crashing, many users are going back to 2.7.......come off it Eset.
    I have not read anything positive from the 'factory' yet.....like sorry.....or we are having problems.....or whatever. I got one message back from Eset regarding a complaint from my side: "We hope to fix this or that soon." And that was it....a new build: still the same problem. What's the use reporting?
    Till this is all sorted out (if it ever will be), why not go for something else?
    There are more 'great' players in the field, believe me.

If this post needs to be removed, more reason for me, not ever to go back to Nod32.

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

r u using letest version 566?

3. poutine

poutine Registered Member

I am and its buggier than the last 2 builds, i agree totally with Big Apple.
    NOT ONCE did i ever have cause to complain about NOD32 version 2.7, it all worked perfectly. Version 3 has been nothing but a nightmare on all my systems running XP Pro. The crashes in Outlook Express have not been fixed, maybe improved on some users machines but all mine inc a freshly installed Xp O.S it crashed it again and again.
    It appears Version 3 didnt undergo even the most basic tests, and if it did how did they miss the 100 or so bugs users reported here within hours of it launch. Shambles. :rolleyes:

4. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

i also got many bug and bsod on win2ksp4 and xpsp2
    but i send eset support all these bugs and full memory dump
    now i have bug free v566 on my win2k and xp
    i got no bsod on my os
    i install ess and eav v3 on many of friends pc's
    no problem for me

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

we run it on XP Pro without hiccup - and there is NO REASON to upgrade if you DO NOT WANT TO - there is obviously a compelling reason for you to stay on v2.7, and perhaps you should do just that until you have proof that v3.0 has had your issues addressed.

6. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

No problem with ESS but I tweaked Vista Crap first...(long delay after reboot, speed, etc,).

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I guess you don't use Windows eh?:D

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

3.0.563 is identical to .566 except for one fix to make installation better. I think if you're having additional problems there's something else going on.

9. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

NONE of the issues I experienced with NOD v3 caused system instability, corruption of files, BSoDs, etc.. On my system there seemed to be a few annoying bugs and some minor incompatibility issues.

I have one system where NOD v3 installed and is running perfectly. On my main desktop where I have a large number of other security programs running in real time NOD v3 had a few problems. One problem was the OE *bing* bug and the other was an incompatibility with ZASS and the combination of other security programs I am using that caused a cookie error problem on sites requiring a login. On my main desktop I simply uninstalled NOD v3 and re-installed NOD v2.7. It only took me about ten minutes to change back to NOD v2.7.

I agree that in a perfect world it would have been great to have an absolutely flawless NOD v3 that works on everyone's system with no bugs and no incompatibilities at all but I don't think that v3 is too far from that objective. If anyone is having trouble with v3 I don't understand what big deal is with just using v2.7 until most of these minor v3 issues get worked out.

10. msrourke

msrourke Registered Member

You know, I was upset too..... But I don't think the problems with V3 lies totally with ESET. I look at all the problems Agnitum is having with Outpost, then there's Zone Alarm and a few other pieces of software that used to be good on XP and either have turned to dust or crap. All in the name of Vista compatibility. Vista is the real issue here, that and the fact that the new software has to be backwards compatible with XP, which is alike, but unrelated. Kind of like putting two feet into one sock...

11. Big Apple

If a new final version of Nod32 is released, one should be able to use that version and should not be forced to go back or even start with 'old' 2.7.
    There's no warning posted at the Eset websites, that you may need to switch back or even start with Nod32 2.7, because there might be some trouble.....with the newly released version 3.0!!!
    SoCalReviews calls it minor issues to be worked out.
    Perhaps you should first start reading all threads regarding all the **** since the release of the final 3.0.
    Furthermore, it surprises me, that now there are more 'positive' posts coming in here.....
    webyourbusinesspoints out, that there's no reason to upgrade, if you don't want to.
    Well.....I'll be damned: I really thought it was compulsory.....my fault.
    What kind of statement is that? Come off it......everybody posting here has been in touch with Nod32 and also been waiting for the new release, but now the guy's with the trouble should just be holding on to the 'old' Nod32? So.....it's all their system's fault? I knew this was coming!:(
    Smarten up.....read the damn threads and admit, that there's something sour with version 3.0!

12. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Nod 32 isn't perfect, then neither has any other AVS i have installed.

Norton IS 05 - used to miss updates, took hours to scan and is a pain to remove from a PC and a memory hog
    ZA - hard to understand firewall that kept allowing applications to conect to the internet, that didn't need to and kept adding excluded applications repeatedly. Then they upgraded it and killed off Messenger.
    PC Cillian 07 - I really liked this, although at renewal time, renewals should be cheaper for current users, but no, renew to 08 and it is the same price as a new purchase - hardly fair, all you want is a straight renewal.Used a lot of memory doing scans, but updated far more regurly than any of the others, including NOD v3.

I've tried these
    AVAST! urgh what a horrible AV, appaling operating features - looks like it belongs in the 90's with its radio style button skin
    AVG ran this when I was rebuilding my PC, nice, light wait, but killed a file that was a key for a game.
    AVIRA - now I was really hopeful of AVIRA, but a trial that has features not working, is not a trial - more a demo (may have downloaded the wrong file I suppose).
    Kapersky KIS & KAV 7.0, now the real oppositon to NOD in my eyes. But has it's problem - uses more cpu, seems to bulky and is trying to do to much. might go back and try again
    ESS Wow I realy loved this, had a hic up with the passwords, Email anti spam no good for Thunderbird users and the firewall leaks.

So here I am with Nod32. This is the first time I have used a standalone AV, my previous were all suites. Nod scans my PC in 39 - 45 minutes (not in hrs), that uses very little memory (I can still use PSE in editor during an on demand scan). Apparently it has bugs still, you can rename the kernel, but despite the moans from users about this, the heurisitcs would have spotted the trojan doing just that, so the system is secure - it may not scream at you like KIS/KAV that it can't be done.

I have got around the Firewall issue, using the Comodo Pro and BoClean, although I have my doubts and a squared free as my standalone.

Question is in 3 weeks, will Istill be using Nod32? Well will just have to wait and see....

13. Big Apple

If a product releases it's final, as being Vista compatible......I expect that to be so.
    It's always easy to blame the OS (MS), but I happen to be running Vista without a glitch. And the mailtagging problem with Windows Mail and other clients should have been tackled, long before the final relase. There's no excuse for that. My first report regarding that hicup, was answered with the statement, that it could not be replicated at Eset.....so the problem didn't exist and that really makes me wonder, if there has been any person properly testing this kind of mailtraffic. It's a damn shame. :(

14. msrourke

No disagreement with that. But the fact remains that several major software developers (primarily security related) are having major issues with new Vista versions. I would say that the common thread there is MS and it's crappy new OS. I don't honestly think ESET and the others have suddenly lost the capability to write quality software. I think MS gave them a quirky, unfinished piece of crap to work with. You're not having fun nowo_O? Ohhhhhhh, you wait 'til Vista SP1 comes, that'll be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride....

15. Big Apple

You are not using Windows? Calling Vista an unfinished piece of crap?
    Sleep tight!

16. msrourke

I do have Vista. I do not use it except to test code. Developing software for Vista is a nightmare. It is unfinished in many ways, until you sit down and start trying to code to Vista do you really realize it. It is based on the Win 2003 server, and as such there are legacy elements of that. There are elements in Vista that will be completed (maybe) in the future and other parts that were abandoned, but the codebase is still there. These are not visible to the user (except maybe in a memory leak or two), but create havoc for a developer.

17. poutine

I can rule out other software incompatibility with the Outlook Express "Bing" bug because as soon as i installed Xp Pro i installed Nod32 Version 3.0.566.0 without any other software to cause any startup or service clashes.
    Guess what.... rebooted "BING" goes Outlook Express on opening.... ahh welll no biggie..... send an email.... oh oh whats this.... the sent items no longer states the account details .. its blank :eek: Oh oh another bug...
    At this minute they are looking into it after i sent screen captures to prove my point.
    Oh and out of interest the RC1 release caused no issues on any of my systems at all, no "BING" bug either in that one ! but the final versions created problems from the start.

18. Big Apple

Just yesterday, someone I know, started using 3.0.566 for the first time and didn't receive enclosed pictures and had even complete blank mails. This is with XP Home sp2.

19. Big Apple

All this beats me, as I am a 'home user', but the scanner I am using just flies like a charm and I gues this manufacturer had to build it to fit in Vista as well and gives me the feeling, they have a better view and attitude towards developing a 'new' version.
    The name Eset/Nod is losing faith very rapidly this way and shouldn't be necessary. And I refuse to link all this to the development of Vista or XP or whatever. Other products did great in the same minefield.

20. poutine

Its funny, if i right click a photo in my documents and choose send to mail recipient and keep O.E closed until its sent, it works fine. and the account details are there when i do open O.E lmao.. is that messed up or what ? :rolleyes:

21. msrourke

On my Vista test box with ver 3, I disabled e-mail and web scanning and went withe real time only. I just opened NOD to see what it is up to and got a news flash.... :D Disabled = malfunctioning??

Attached Files:

22. BlueMick

BlueMick Registered Member

(My emboldening)

How are we supposed to know when that is? I installed v3 because Eset emailed me and said there was an upgrade available. I assumed, based on past performance and the fact that I had been notified by the people who make and sell this software, that this was a finished and working piece of kit. I had problems with it and reverted back to v2.7. I don't mind waiting for the "finished" article, but how am I supposed to know when that is?

There are two problems here, regardless of the OS you are using. The first problem is that Eset released software that clearly had an unacceptable level of bugs in it - and it was a commercial release.

The second problem is that they have failed to effectively communicate with their customers as to what has gone wrong, what they are doing about it, and when the ordinary non-expert user can have confidence that they can download this software and install it on their computers without fear of it stuffing the system up.

Very disappointing.

23. YadaYada

YadaYada Registered Member

At least you got an email.

It would be nice to see a newsletter from ESET once in awhile.
    I don't know if they even know I am a customer...I've never received any info from them.

Version 2.7 is still great tho !

24. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I must agree with the shame comment. Its been weeks and still getting double mail tags. That is absurd, no matter how you try to argue that its not. o_O

EDIT: I got an email today and it had 3 tags! WTF Eseto_O??

25. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I wouldn't call it a "positive" post to say that if v3 isn't working for you then just use v2.7. That is a statement of FACT and a reality that if you choose you can continue to use the same reliable and quality AV that you have been using before without having to deal with the first releases of v3. Meanwhile we all know that ESET is working on improving v3 and any problems with it hopefully will be worked out.

It isn't like I don't want to read the negative posts. I want to know what the v3 problems are and understanding these things is one of the reasons why this forum is here for us. However, some of the negative posts make it sound like the sky is falling. The reality is that for now anyone can use v2.7 as a temporary solution. If the v3 issues don't get worked out within the next year or if support for v2.7 is discontinued then I might agree with your chorus of negativity.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.