It says 16 bit and I have a 32 bit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by starlight, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starlight

starlight Registered Member

I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP2.

When I go into the System Configuration Utility and at the top and I click the "System.INI , the first thing there with a check mark says "for 16 bit app help.
    It is also under the "WIN.INI when I click on it. Mine is a 32 bit. Why is it saying 16?. Is something wrong here?

2. Alec

Alec Registered Member

No, everything is fine. I believe the actual line is "; for 16-bit app support". The ";" means it is a comment, and the entry is just telling you that WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI remain for legacy support.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Slightly off-topic, but (I think and hope) fairly closely related ...

I've got an antique copy of DBase for Win (don't ask me the version, but it was written for Win 3.1), actually runs better on my XP than on my old 98SE system without touching compatibility settings.

On rare occasions, trying to start it will fail with a warning about 16-bit applications. Re-trying, even almost immediately, is usually successful. Am I correct in assuming, therefore, that the problem is that something else hadn't quite finished shutting down and "cleaning up"?

4. starlight

starlight Registered Member

Thanks Alec. I was puzzled about this and thought something may be wrong.

Sorry if I was off topic, but I did not know where else to put this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.