"IT JUST WORKS"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 19monty64, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Today while googling for drivers (long story-don't ask) and getting frustrated, a thought popped in to my mind. WUBI!!! For me it was a simple way to get into windows when it wouldn't boot so that I could at least use ERUNT to repair my registry. If that were to fail, I'd at least have internet while deciding to re4mat or just install linux. Well if you read here earlier, WUBI was just a promo for replacing WINDOWS. I gave up waiting for 7.10 to work thru any means. Lo and behold WUBI 8.04 is now supported by Ubuntu as an official installer for us Windows-dummies. To make a long story short, the BSOE (black-screen of errors) I got led me here and then to here and then finally here. Moral of this story... "IT JUST WORKS" ...so I just un-installed/rebooted/waited for Windows to recognize the new device and ask if I wanted to install the drivers for it. "POOF"-"IT JUST WORKS"
    ...some thing that I think some people use to say but some forgot about it!!!

2. L815

L815 Guest

Does wubi work correctly with vista yet? Last time I tried it it wouldn't work ;o

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Hey, hey, hey. "IT JUST WORKS" is not from any billionaire's distro. See my sig for the truth. :D

4. L815

L815 Guest

Wubi works on Vista now, just tried it with Hardy.

PCLinuxOS i've had trouble with, particularly wireless. Same with Suse, though it wasn't wireless rather a bunch of other hardware.

Fedora I've come to like a lot. My hardware runs best it seems in Fedora. It's smooth, fast, and looks amazing. I'm anxiously waiting for 9 and have had great pleasure in running it in beta.

5. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

PCLOS is a great Distro and I would like to use it on my laptop. Unfortunately, after installing HH, I found via Smartmontools that PC Linux is spinning down my hard drive at a furious rate and unless I find a solution for this problem, I will have to get rid of it.

The spin-down issue affects Ubuntu as well but is easily tackled, a dedicated Goorgle search will bring up a workable answer but PCLOS is not as well supported and asking at the forum doesn't always elicit a feasible solution.

If anyone here has encountered the problem and has found an answer would you please let me know as I would like to continue using this otherwise very fine Distro.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What problem do you have exactly?
    Mrk

7. Riverrun

It's a power-management issue that cause the disk to spin-down aggressively and shorten the life of the laptop.

The following screenshot was taken after 4 weeks of using PCLOS and during that time it piled on a couple of thousand cycles.

Ubuntu HH, during 4 days of constant use has been far more sparing of my HD accounting for a mere 63 extra cycles as screenshot 2 shows.

Attached Files:

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I installed Wubi and I am a bit disappointed that they have changed the original concept: To run Ubuntu in a window within windows. Now you have to reboot to get into Ubuntu. Now i sort of dont see the point with it, I can dualboot with any distro, why should I use Wubi?
    Anyways it didnt work for me. After the reboot Ubuntu showed alot of error messages and refused to load :'(

9. Riverrun

Screenshots are in reverse order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.