It Has 2 Waterfox Icons On the Taskbar Please Help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

After uninstalling the old version of Waterfox and then installed to the latest one, I right clicked on the Waterfox and then selected "Pin to Taskbar"..but when I click the Waterfox icon on the taskbar in order to open browser, when the browser opens, it appears 2 Waterfox icons instead of just 1. After exiting out of the Waterfox browser, it does become back to 1. I don't know why the primary one thats pin to the taskbar is not working..instead, it just opens the new Waterfox browser (so it appears 2 icons whenever Waterfox browser is opened)..this was not like this before..This happened after uninstalling the old version or Waterfox and installed to the latest version of it..please help??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I happened on my test machine too.

3. sooflymami

How can I fix this so it will just appear 1 Waterfox icon thats on the default tray?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sooflymami, did you try right clicking the Waterfox icon, and click on Unpin this program from the Taskbar?

5. sooflymami

If I Unpin it, the Waterfox icon would go away..I want to keep 1 Waterfox icon on the taskbar but I don't want another Waterfox to appear when opening the browser.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Exactly. While both icons are on the taskbar, right click the first icon and unpin it to make it go away. Right click the active icon and pin it to the taskbar. Close Waterfox and try opening the program. See if that solves the problem.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sooflymami, if the above suggestion worked, it would be kinda nice to reply back (Yay or Nay) for future reference, should someone find this thread, while doing an Internet search to a similar problem.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just to give some input, My WF Icon does the same thing when I activate the Icon. Usually if you click an Icon, a highlighted rectangle appears around the Icon while it's activated. If you float the arrow over this a small picture of your present web site appears above, and if you click the small picture it disappears, still leaving the highlighted Icon in the rectangle. The difference here is that when you initially click the Icon, it appears again in a different spot on the Taskbar in the highlighted rectangle as Sooflymami showed in his picture.
    I don't really care myself, it's not a problem. :)

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

This happens when you have it pinned to the task bar and you open another one. Its normal :)

10. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

As cheater87 said one is the icon, the other is the browser window you've just opened.
    Firefox does that too, IE doesn't, don't know about Chrome.

11. sooflymami

I haven't tried this process yet but I'm going to. But the thing is when I 1st pinned it to the task bar, I right clicked on the one on my desktop screen icon, not the one below the taskbar..should I right click and choose "Unpin this program from taskbar" on the Waterfox icon thats located on the task bar or do I right click and choose that option from the Waterfox icon thats on the desktop screen?

12. sooflymami

Cheater told me nevermind he got that mixed up with the Sandboxie Waterfox not the original Waterfox browser.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sooflymami, do it all in the taskbar.

14. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

You're right, I forgot I always have FF sandboxed.

15. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

We tried this and we got an error message. This ONLY happens when we try to open Waterfox from the taskbar and when we open it with the desktop icon it opens just fine.

Attached Files:

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

cheater87, although the following instructions are for Firefox, since Waterfox is built on the same platform, see if this XULRunner error after an update helps. Looks like something went wrong with the Watefox update, and perhaps it needs uninstalling & installing again.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I was having the same issue. This worked for me:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/10/12/fix-pinned-items-opening-as-new-icons-in-windows-7-taskbar/

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

19. MadMax1412

MadMax1412 Registered Member

This did not work for me. If I right click the spawned one and pin that and delete (unpin) the original, when I click on the new pinned item, I get the error message as shown earlier about the Min and Max version.

If I unpin all of them and try Waterfox from the Start Menu, it opens ok. So I close any open sessions, go into the Start Menu and right click Waterfox and pin that. The pinned shortcut opens, but spawns another icon in the taskbar.

Any ideas?

One other issue I have with Waterfox is when I go to this page - http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3438&dl=1#dl - it doesn't show me anything under the tab. Internet Explorer works fine.

Am I missing something? I installed Flash from the Waterfox download page. Do I need to install the Java or Silverlight plugin?

20. stackz

stackz Registered Member

@MadMax1412
    Close all instances of Waterfox and unpin it from the taskbar.
    Go into the Start Menu and launch Waterfox, right click on the Waterfox icon that is now in the taskbar and pin it.

For your Gigabyte link, you'll need the JRE installed to work correctly.

21. MadMax1412

Thanks. I will be at my parent-in-laws (where this is happening) on Friday and will let you know how I go.

Cheers

22. MadMax1412

Sorry for the delay but this is the first time I got back to my Parents-in-laws. Anyway, this does not work. I unpinned Waterfox from the taskbar. Clicked the Start button and ignored the Waterfox that showed in the recent programs and found the Waterfox "entry" which I expanded and chose Waterfox. Right clicked on it in the task bar and pinned it. I then closed it.

When I then click on the icon now showing in the taskbar, I get the same error message as Cheater87 except the version number in the first line is 15.0.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/Mad_Max_1412/Computer%20Issues/Waterfox.jpg

Since that icon on the taskbar doesn't work, I deleted it. I then went back to the start menu and dragged the icon from there to the taskbar. Waterfox now starts, but still have the issue of it spawning a new icon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.