IT career?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by piratejack, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piratejack

piratejack Registered Member

Hello Everyone!
    I'm thinking about switching careers back into IT after having tried teaching for a few years. I previously was a network tech for two years and then a network admin for a windows network (MCSE NT 4) for 5 years, and then did some consulting here and there after that before I switched to teaching in 2007. Obviously, I'll need some new training (probably certs) and I already have a degree, so I'm hoping to get some insights on where IT is at and what the future looks like. I'm particularly interested in security or possibly medical records or networking again. Any thoughts? Here's some questions I've been thinking about...
    1. Pros/Cons of IT as a career path right now (i.e. What is the current state of IT?)
    2. Pro/Cons of choosing IT security?
    3. Any resources/articles I can read?
    4. Is there great job potential? (It seems many people are saying "stay away" from IT because finding a job is very challenging because jobs have been off-shored and H-1B visas are "killing the job market." And I know the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the government says the job market is overall good and especially good for security, database, medical records, and a few other areas of IT)
    5. What's the current view on degree vs certs vs experience? (I have a BS degree in education with a double major in math & science, my previous MCP & MCSE NT4, and the 8 years experience noted above that ended around 2006.)
    6. Are most IT people working longer hours (i.e. more than 55 hours/week?) given the current demands of IT environments. Obviously this varies.
    7. Are companies currently typically paying for continuing ed (certs, etc)? I noticed in your article that they weren't doing that so much in 2007/08.
    8.What's your overall opinion of the IT field right now?
    9. If you were deciding on a career path right now, would you choose IT again? why/why not?

Thank you so much for any help insights you can provide!

2. piratejack

Wow! After almost two weeks, no replies to my question. Are there many people visiting this forum any more? I was hoping for at least a few responses. Bummer.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

1. Not sure I can answer that one. IT seems to be going well for programmers.
    2. IT security is probably one of the better opportunities.
    3. Not sure about that one either. I'm sure others will make suggestions.
    4. The potential is good if you can get in someplace.
    5. I hire based on experience. I have seen people with certs/degrees that have no idea what they are doing.
    6. I work about 40 hours. I worked 60+ at my last job for less money. It depends on the employer.
    7. Mine does not. Some do.
    8. My overall opinion? I probably won't leave it soon. Though I would like to.
    9. I might choose it again. I'd rather do something creative in the food service industry. o_O

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

4. piratejack

Thanks xxJackxx, appreciate your thoughts. By the way, what type of IT work do you do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.