Issues with Online Armor

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by StevieO, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I want to set up my FW to Prompt/Ask me anytime i launch IE & FF for outbound access. There only appear to be 2 options i can see, either Allow or Block, but no ask ?

Is this possible, if so how would i accomplish this ?

If not, why not ?

Also i have set IE & FF to run safer, but on reboot they go back to normal. Is there something else i need to enable etc ?

TIA

Attached Files:

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

u seem to post a lot of questions like this. it wuld probly be a better idea to create an account on OA forums and ask ther...

3. fax

fax Registered Member

4. StevieO

Aha, just as i thought ! It can't be done.

So Tall Emu are considering it for the future. Well that's something anyway. I think it's a pretty crucial inclusion to have in any FW, so i don't understand why it wasn't in there from the off ? ZA has this feature, and always has.

firzen771

Not really, just a few !

fax

Thanx for the link which has clarified things.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

You're welcome :thumb:

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

You should be able to have it setup to prompt you every time the browser tries to connect for outbound. Most applications use IE to do that when you uninstall them. The trick is to go into your security policies under OS and setup a rule for IE to deny access to it from ever trying to launch in the first place.

7. ThE WiZ

ThE WiZ Registered Member

Go into programs(not firewall) iexplorer.exe click ask or run safer,ask or right click and do the same and do the same to FF.

Code:
    http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5372/onlinearmor.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. avboy

avboy Registered Member

The only issue for me with Online Armor is that I purchased it recently, and now it is given away free at GIZMO!!!

But seriously speaking, I understand your problem.
    1. You go to options -> firewall and remove the TICK mark from Automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet.
    2. Go to firewall -> rules, double click on relevant programs and add your rule. You have options to add Inbound/Outbound/Both for Direction; TCP/UDP/Both for protocol; and Allow/Deny for rule option. Add ports (even 0-65535). Just explore this and you will figure!

The problem I have is with FTP. For some reason, FTP download is blocked even if program is trusted and have all rights!. It works only if it is in the exclusion list.

9. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Have you tried manually adding Port 21 (FTP) to whatever application it is you're having probs with.

10. StevieO

Hi all.

I want a browser to ask me at the FW, not just in programs. Program/Exe etc control should be completely seperate from FW duties, IMO.

Also as i mentioned, OA doesn't seem to remember the fact i've ticked Run Safer on IE & FF. Every time i reboot i have to go and re tick ?

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Remove IE related rules, untick Options->Firewall->Automatically allow trusted programs to access internet, untick Options->Firewall->Autoconfigure trusted programs. And when you get the popups do not check "create rule" box

12. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Thanks Keyboard Commando. I somehow missed the obvious (used to Comodo's "treat this as FTP")!

13. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

Currently my main problem is boot time, i see my desktop only with wallpaper for 2-3 minutes, then all icons and windows toolbar are loading. It is the online armor premium version 3.5.0.32. I had clean install, tried tons of thing, backing up settings, not backing up, erasing all online armor related files but simply it makes my pc load slower for now.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I mentioned over at the OA forum that the RAM system requirements are 512Mb, and thought that was unusually high. Mike answered my post and although I forget his answer, he pretty much said I shouldn't be concerned. It still gives me concern that I have never used an app that needed 512Mb of RAM. Does anyone think it might have some relationship to the slow reaction time some folks have been having? I have 1Gb of DRAM on my box, and typically half of that is being used. What happens when my OA is running using up to 512Mbs?

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi :)

Just to be clear, OA doesnt need 512mb of RAM. I just recommend that because if you're running windows with less that 512mb of Ram your system isn't able to run *any* software properly, never mind OA.

On my laptop right now, Firefox is using 67mb, Skype 50mb, ICQ 50mb, Yahoo 50mb, Explorer 30mb... = 247mb not counting all the other processes and that's before I do anything like open MS word. In total I have about 700mb of RAM in use, and thats just my various toolbar apps, and two browsers.

Running XP I would not recommend anyone to go less than 1GB. On vista I would not use less than 2GB of Ram.

That is regardless of whether you want to run OA or not. It's just my opinion - windows does not perform well with anything less than the amount of memory I have suggested. your mileage (and patience) may vary.

16. Durad

Durad Registered Member

On XP everything over 1GB is not going to improve speed and 512mb is minimum.

17. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

Then RAM requirements doesn't explain slow boot ups in contrast i have 2 GB RAM on my netbook. It is a nice software realy but this issue is really annoying to me. Today i saw my desktop icons after 10 minutes. How would you feel?

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Mike, Thanks for elaborating on your original answer .I get it now. :) I think that you should use the amount of RAM OA actually NEEDS when you list the system requirements. Like I said, apps I have used seem to do that and I think it looks better to say OA needs say 128Mbs if that's all it needs to operate.

19. osip

osip Registered Member

Regarding general issues. Some report that you have a startup delay when Winpatrol is installed together with OA.
    A tip:
    Use winpatrol's delayed start and put winpatrolEx.exe with delay. After this all was normal in my case.

20. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

If you contact us about it at the support forum, we'll find out what is happening and fix it. 10 minutes boot is crazy and completely not normal.

21. osip

osip Registered Member

Underlining...In my case it was just about a minor delay. Not that kind of insane delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.