Issue with Outlook 2007 and NOD32 3.0.621.0

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by LoPhatPhuud, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoPhatPhuud

LoPhatPhuud Spyware Fighter

To check out a slowness in emal processing, I turned on tagging for incoming email. To my surprise, the following message is appended to all incoming email from two servers (so far):

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 2747 (20071225) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

part000.txt - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

Most of the received emails are plain text (mime: text/plain) although a few HTML emails (mime: multipart/alternative).

The message makes no sense. I have approx 1gb free physical memory, over 100gb free disk and temp files/folders are cleaned daily. This may be related to the slowdown. Any thoughts? Should I open a report at ESET?

2. LoPhatPhuud

My wife and I subscribe to the same mailing list. Emails on her computer are not flagged with the decompression message that I get.

The email was same, NOD32 was v3.0.621.0 in both cases. The only difference; she is running Win Xp Pro (SP2) and I am running Vista Ultimate.

She also has never had any difficulty or issue downloading files. The same file that would freeze at the end on my computer downloaded without issue on hers.

This is beginning to look like an issue with Vista and the current release of NOD32. The prior version (2.7) did not have this problem on my computer.

3. LoPhatPhuud

I finally resolved this one. ESET support responded that the issue was with the temp folders. That turned out to be correct, but not as they might have thought. There was over 100gb of free space and the permissions were correct.

Inspecting C:\Windows\Temp uncovered 65,535 zero byte temp files created by NOD32 v3 (either 563 or 566). All were dated 11/16/2007 over a very short period of time. The file name format was NODhhhh.tmp where h represents any valid digit. The net result was the every possible comibination of file names was already present when NOD did its thing. With the files removed, the Outlook responds as expected.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This should not happen again, there used to be a problem scanning certain sfx archives which was fixed using an auto update several days ago.

5. LoPhatPhuud

Thanks Marcos,

The problem has not appeared using EAV 3.0.621.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.