ISR question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Seven64, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

When I get a bsod and then boot to another snap-shot the Mini-dump is still there, and windows says "recover from an unexpected error".
    I thought booting to another snap-shot every thing was gone from the previous one? o_O

Windows 7x 64

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Booting back and forth changes nothing. You have to update the snapshot..

Pete

3. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I'm not new to FirstDefense. I will try to explain again. I am in Primary snap-shot then I get a bsod, so I go (boot) to another snap-shot that Never had a bsod, the one that NEVER had a bsod reports that "Windows recover from a unexpected error" and a Mini-dump file is present in the snap-shot that never had a problem (bsod).

4. Peter2150

I have some guesses, but am not sure. Lets see if Pandlouk comes along and can explain.

Pete

5. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I would like to here your opinion, thanks.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It is normal behavior since FD-ISR excludes the pagefile.sys from the snapshots.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/01/08/understanding-crash-dump-files.aspx

Panagiotis

7. Peter2150

I guessed around the edge, but thanks to Pandlouk, we know know for sure.

Pete

8. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thank you Panagiotis, does this just happen on window 7 64bit? I can't recall this happening on XP-32.

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome Seven64.

No, it happens in xp too. If right after the BSOD you boot in another snapshot that use the same pagefile the minidump will be recreated in that snapshot too. If after the BSOD you first reboot in the same snapshot and then to the alternate one, sometimes it happens and some other does not; it depends from wether the OS has rewrote in the pagefile area were the crash dump existed or not. The less memory(ram) the system has the less is the probability that you 'll encounter it, since it will use more often the pagefile to compensate; probably the reason that you never encountered it with xp.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.