ISP Snooping/Sniffing

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Atanar, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atanar

Atanar Registered Member

Can anybody suggest a way to test one's installed privacy software to know if an ISP still has the ability to snoop/sniff? Am trying Privoxy and Tor per recommendations at Dr Who's Privacy and Security FAQ, ver 20.6, which can be seen at http://www.privacy.li/security_faq.htm.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

3. Atanar

Atanar Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid 2k for the suggestions. I have downloaded Port Explorer and opened Socket Spy and scanned the help file, but the examples refer to telnet, etc. and I'm too much of a newbie to connect the dots. If it would not be too much trouble, I would be grateful for a "Socket Spy for Dumbies"-type instruction or a referal on how exactly to use Socket Spy only to check that the data leaving the PC is encrypted.

Would you recommend purchase of PE or is there a freeware which could serve my limited purpose? (I already have TDS-3 if by chance it has a feature of which I am unaware which could do this job.)

Thanks again.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you are using Tor, it will connect out using ports 9000 upwards. Check the data going out on those. As for purchasing Port Explorer, I'd suggest doing so only if you think you will have a continued need for it (the Socket Spy feature is unique, but everything else can be done via other software).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.