ISP alternatives ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Decapad, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello - I have internet service through my cable company - Cablevision. They are about $50/month (I'm not bundled). Are there any cheaper ways to connect with similar performance to a cable modem? Thank you, D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I don't particularly like bundles myself -- I stick with Bell for phone, cable co. (Rogers) for cable TV, and an ISP with an excellent history of customer service and tech support, even though it costs me quite a bit more that way, because I feel I'm getting the best quality that way.

But if you're willing to combine your eggs into one basket, so to speak, a bundle would definitely be the way to go for substantial cost reduction. These days, the vast majority of all three types of companies offer all three types of service, with attractive bundles.

Here in Canada, cable TV providers have long enjoyed a legal monopoly for cable service in a given area, but the government seems to be backing off from that position somewhat. For example, my ISP still can't provide cable in my city, but now can in a number of other locations.

(Edit) As a P.S., I'm paying just about the same as you -- my internet service (DSL) runs me a little over $50 a month including router-modem rental and taxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.