ISP activity logging

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by centrum, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centrum

centrum Registered Member

Hi all. I read that ISPs log your web usage, including sites, email, newsgroups, etc. That's pretty invasive. Does anyone know how long they keep the logs?

Also, anyone know if universities also keep these logs, and how long? I've downloaded my share of warez and movies from newsgroups at school and would suck if all that is logged.

Thanks.

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

My ISP - local in town - deletes all user activity each evening.

One university I can speak about, does not keep the types of logs you are referring to, but monitors network traffic, so that unusual high bandwith activity can be spotted.

In the computer labs, all workstations have Deep Freeze, so when rebooted, no files written to disk remain -- this would include, of course, any users' emails, internet cache, history, etc.

When students sign up for computer use, they agree to adhere to the general principle that the computer is not the student's personal computer, and is to be used for university work only, which does include accessing their web email account, which they sign up for when enrolling. Most outside-of-class communication between students and faculty is by email and faculty web sites.

-rich

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

They need to keep some logging in case of any disputes, reports of abuse or criminal activity. There has been discussion here in the UK about increasing data retention time.

An article over at Wikipedia may explain this better than I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention

4. centrum

Thanks guys. Rmus can you say which school that was? If not I understand :) I know there are a lot of internet privacy rules pertaining to commercial ISPs. Do you guys know if university ISPs are regarded as commercial ISPs and have to adhere to the same laws? I read some article about RIAA suing students at Purdue and other universities. Are universities more motivated to retain logs than ISPs or something?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  5. Renegade182

Renegade182 Registered Member

I know they log this info, but at least there is legal accountability.

6. centrum

ah I'll just call them and ask. I guess if you can ask a commercial isp you should be able to ask them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  7. probe64

probe64 Registered Member

Yeh, as if they are going to tell the truth...:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.