Is your LastPass data really safe in the encrypted online vault?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by summerheat, Jul 9, 2018.

1. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Wladimir Palant, the well-known creator of AdBlock Plus, has published a blog post which should be very concerning for every LastPass user.

LastPass has published a post which shows that they have fixed at least some of those flaws detecetd by Wladimir.

Nevertheless, Wladimir's conclusion is:
    I'm happy that I switched to KeePass a long time ago.

2. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

I suppose keeping passwords local is still more secure.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I rely on a password manger and it IS cloud based. In theory and according to source code it too is a zero knowledge architecture, which means the device encrypts first and sends only after. I do add the security of pure U2F as a requirement to gain access to my vault. Even if the password and username were completely compromised you aren't getting in without my U2F chip. I suspect this Last Pass examination didn't examine that contingency. Repeated issues with LP caused me to avoid considering them as final candidates for my Trust.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also think this cloud based stuff is a huge risk. It only makes sense if want to you login to websites from devices not owned by you.

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Or frequently changes passwords and/or opens new accounts...
    As Palancar noted cloud-based password storage can be secure (confidentiality), if designed properly. I still use KeePass and KeePassX, because I am used to that.
    Bitwarden looks more promising than LastPass privacy-wise, but I haven't researched this topic enough, because I don't use it.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Actually, I forgot that it's especially handy for synchronization of all passwords if you use multiple devices, so it's not correct what I said. So it's no surprise that password managers became so popular. But I still see the cloud as a risk, I rather store data locally.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.