Is Winamp safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blackbeard740, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If anyone knows could you tell me if Winamp v 5.05 is spyware/adware free and generally safe to use (no known flaws)? Thanks.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

No, there's no spyware. It had one security flaw, but it's been taken care of in version 5.05. It's a great player, have fun!

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

some of the plugins or extensions have spyware. well, i came across Wild Tangent once and asked about it here
    the second sentence is supposed to read
    today i had a folder full of plugins and games and did not know what was what, it wont happen again . because i decided to start installing afew at a time.

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Overview
    WildTangent is an online gaming plugin bundle from Wildtangent.com, containing the WildTangent Web Driver, WildTangent Multiplayer Library, WildTangent Updater and WildTangent GameChannel. WildTangent is downloaded as a standard setup .exe file or installed by an activeX control from the vendor's web site. WildTangent is also bundled with Games from WildTangent and some WinAmp plugins. Some Internet Service providers such as Verizon and Bellsouth install the WildTangent software. Some desktops from HP comes with WildTangent installed. AOL Instant Messenger 5.5 bundled WildTangent Multiplayer Library, Updater and WebDriver without any notice in the End User License Agreement. Later on the AIM license was modified to also mention WildTangent, which you can see in the AIM 5.5.3595 EULA. Symantec support has more information about how WildTangent is installed on the users' system.

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

WildTangent has been long held to be a nuisance if not adware/spyware threat, and I believe that many antispyware prog.s have included it in there "unsafe" database.

7. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

There is no spy-ware associated with win-amp. But should you download any of the plug-in"s skins etc do pay particular attention to these as they can use spy / Add-ware/ in there installation

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.