Is Webroot Spysweeper still a great program?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mvdu, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Or has it been surpassed by other anti-malware software? I'm thinking of adding it to Prevx and CIS.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

dont use it, its never been very good for me, heavy and there's better options out there.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. With just Prevx and CIS, I'm likely fine anyway. But I thought if it was still good, it would be a nice extra.

4. firzen771

prevx and CIS should do you very good, just those 2 is fine.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Concour with FirZen.I first used it when I joined wilders then relized How bloated it was and heavy on my system.I can not say for sure if its the same but it was heading for the worse when I left it.besides with your current set up IMO you do not need it.

6. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I still use it and have for 4 years , but only on demand scanner only. I have the whole suite.:thumb:

7. Dark Shadow

Is it heavy realtime.

8. SIR****TMG

Yes its still heavy

9. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Most antivirus programs these days handle anti-spyware and ad-ware fine. I use SAS free or the free version of A-Squared to double check my systems.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Spy Sweeper is a has been along with some other well known applications. It's bloated, has lackluster detection/removal capabilities, and it operates on a subscription model so in the long run you'll pay a premium in order to use it.

11. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

IMO, Webroot should diversify into SpySweeper Brand Toilet Paper ....

SS is a dinosaur, that refuses to evolve. Its already lost many of its star employees and the equity firms that run it are just milking the name till the last drop. After which it will probably be sold out.

12. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I suggest using SAS, MBAM or A-squared as on-demand scanners instead.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, all

SpySweeper may not be the darling in views of Tech guys/gals any more, but in the eyes of average joes/janes, it is still a BUY item, so long as its marketing tactics still prevails. Why ?

Just look around those high tec stores such as FutureShops ( Staples) / in Canada, you will find Webbroots products under heavy promotions-- a perfect opportunity for those who do not know where to get online softwares to gain an access.

I still have several unused licenses which I got for free a while ago. And they may be hidden somewhere. :p

Yes, Spysweeper is NOT a MUST HAVE item anymore, it may manage to advance one inch, while others already hop few feet. That is the Evolution, you may say.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I very much doubt that SS would add anything to those others apart from system bloat.As mentioned use SAS or Mbam if you want another second opinion scanner.

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I recommend that you don't add it to your security setup. It used to be good, but newer versions (even those without antivirus and behaviour blocker), can tax your computer, have conflicts with other software, and have privacy implications that you don't want. (Default, unless changed recently: installation of ask.com toolbar, sending information to Webroot or other parties which you might not want).

I have an older version (=fewer problems) on my computer, but don't plan to renew it.

It's a 'has been'.

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks, all. Based on the opinions, I will not bother to renew it (it's been so long I might have to buy again.)

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

In my experience (version without antivirus) the on-demand scanner performs poorly.

I once had a setup of the Spyware Doctor (before they came out with version 5) plus the Spy Sweeper, both with real-time protection enabled.

The Spy Sweeper performed (very) well in terms of real-time protection.
    But as an on-demand scanner, it almost never found anything, except perhaps a few false positives. The Spyware Doctor did detect a lot of spyware/adware, so I used that one for on-demand scans. Again, this was a few years ago. These days I virtually never get malware on my computer.

18. randomjester

randomjester Registered Member

TopTenREVIEWS:
    2009 Anti-Spyware Software Product Comparisons
    #1 - Spy Sweeper
    #2 - CounterSpy
    #3 - Spyware Doctor

I've been a fan of Spy Sweeper and highly recommend it. It has always found and removed spyware that others either never found or couldn't successfully remove. It is rated #1 at TopTenREVIEWS, and is actually always ranked high in comparisons. I know Spyware Doctor has a detection rate up there with Spy Sweeper, but Spyware Doctor takes a heavy toll on system resources if you keep real-time protection enabled. I'm currently giving CounterSpy a test...

19. firzen771

Toptenreviews is acomplete joke

20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Toptenreviews is little more than an ad site.

I must admit that in the past I've used it to make a decision, but now I know better :)

Still, the negative reviews may be of merit !

There is also a chance that you may find a bargain over there (lower price or free extra program) .

21. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

For a recent, credible and independent review of Spy Sweeper, see: Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware 6.0.

Personally, I use Spy Sweeper as a supplementary on-demand malware scanner (i.e., no real-time shield protection) in conjunction with Norton Internet Security 2009.

22. firzen771

I wuldnt call pcmag all that credible, their reviews give a nice general outline of the product, but i definetly wuldnt make a choice from a pcmag review

23. Dark Shadow

ROFL---------

24. SIR****TMG

Plus the fact the real owner died in Hawaii last year. Who's running the show now?

25. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Agreed. They review on a feature and price point basis which is totally inappropriate for security software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.