Is Vivaldi Sandboxed?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by drhu22, Sep 4, 2016.

1. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

I understand Chrome comes with built in sandboxing ... is this true of other Chrome variants as well? For some reason Vivaldi isnt working for me with Sandboxie, and I cant seem to find much info on the web.
    I would also be interested to know how well Chrome sandboxing compares to Sandboxie in terms of effectiveness.

Thanks

2. busy

busy Registered Member

3. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Thanks for replying!
    No... Im using 1.3.551.38 (Stable channel) (32-bit)... Ill give that beta a try.

4. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Wooo HOOO... it worked!!
    Thank you!!!

Still curious though about the built in sandbox or lack of in Vivaldi...

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

From what I understood, Vivaldi also makes use of the internal sandbox, but I'm not completely sure. But normally speaking, Vivaldi should run smoothly combined with SBIE. I'm currently using SpyShelter to run Vivaldi in "restricted mode", so far without any problems.

6. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Thanks again you guys... your help was much appreciated.

7. The Count

The Count Registered Member

I updated Vivaldi but wouldn't run with SBIE. Double-clicked waited and nothing happened.

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

After update, did you run it unsandbox, so that update finished outside of sandbox?

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

That can happen if your sandbox is not set to delete on closing, and you haven't deleted old contents before running in the sandbox the updated browser. So, deleting contents might be all you need to do.

Bo

10. The Count

Yes, it was updated outside SBIE.

11. Rasheed187

And what if you disable the sandbox? This is the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe" --no-sandbox

12. bo elam

The Count, at this time, the above workaround is needed if Vivaldi is installed in a sandbox. If Vivaldi is installed in the system, then run sandboxed, no need for the workaround.

Bo

13. Rasheed187

Correct, but in order to avoid future problems, why not disable the sandbox, that's my new approach. :D

14. bo elam

You know Rasheed, I was going to reply to not do it unless there was a problem, but then I remembered......I am doing the same with Firefox :D. Multiprocess has never conflicted with Sandboxie in my PC and I keep it disabled.

Bo

15. The Count

Works fine without sbie, but I would rather have had it work sandboxed.

16. The Count

Vivaldi is downloaded onto the desktop. It's not working with SBIE when I ask it to, that's the problem.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. bo elam

Lets get that done.

In an earlier post, I suggested to delete the sandbox. Did you do that?

This is important because not doing it after upgrading your browser can "sometimes" cause problems when you run the updated browser in a sandbox with old content (content of the old browser version).

If your sandbox is clean and you still have problems, try running the browser in a new sandbox with default settings.

You can create a new sandbox Via:

Sandboxie control>Sandbox>Create new sandbox

When you create the new sandbox, select not to copy settings from existing sandboxes.

Vivaldi should run fine sandboxed. I suggest to at least be using Sandboxie 5.18 (latest stable version). Tell us the errors you getting, if any. If it is a Sandboxie message, copy it to the clipboard and paste it here.

Bo

18. bo elam

Then you dont need the workaround.

Tell us what SBIE messages you are getting, and how you are trying to run the browser under SBIE.

If you are not getting ANY Sandboxie message when you try to run the browser sandboxed, if just nothing happens, then perhaps your antivirus or another security program you are using is interfering with the normal process of getting Vivaldi to run under Sandboxies protection. In other words, you are experiencing a conflict.

Bo

19. The Count

Yes i did
    Error messages are:
    SBIE 2314 Cancelling process Vivaldi.exe

It's asking me to name the new sandbox should I do that too?

SBIE version 5.04, 64 bit
    Vivaldi 1.9.818.44 Stable Channel, 64 bit

20. bo elam

That version is too old, from 2015. Vivaldi became officially supported in version 5.14. You are using a SBIE version that doesn't support Vivaldi, that is why you cant run Vivaldi sandboxed. Updating to 5.18 should fix the problem. You can do it over the top. Choose uninstall to remove old settings.
    You can name it whatever you want. Name it Vivaldi if you like.

After updating to 5.18, you probably wont have to test using a new sandbox.

Bo

21. Rasheed187

Haven't tested the new Firefox yet, but keep in mind that multi-process and sandbox are two different things. Because with Opera/Vivaldi you can disable the sandbox but it stays a multi-process browser. I couldn't get the newest Opera and Vivaldi to work with SBIE (old version) and after disabling the sandbox they worked just fine.

Have you tried the run it with that command? To clarify, only the internal browser sandbox will be disabled, but SBIE will still protect the browser.

22. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

chrome://sandbox/ in the address bar shows you the sandbox status

23. bo elam

Firefox is working fine along Sandboxie. There is no need to disable Multiprocess. As of this moment, no one needs to disable Multiprocess.

In the case of Vivaldi, Opera and other Chromium type browsers, if the browser is installed in the system and run sandboxed, all works fine. If the browser is installed in a sandbox, then the workaround (disabling the browser sandbox) is required.

I think is good to point out this difference and you ought to mention it when you talk about the workaround. I know I told you about it when I first guided you to the SBIE forum thread thats about the problem and has the workaround.
    The counts problem was that he was using an antique version of Sandboxie. A version that did not support Vivaldi. I suggested to upgrade Sandboxie, he has not come back and give feedback but that should be all he needed to do to fix his issue. In his case, unlike you, he doesn't need to disable the sandbox as Vivaldi is installed in the system.

Bo

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  24. Rasheed187

Yes this is true, but I'm still excited by this "no sandbox" trick, so I wanted to share it. :D

Good point, didn't realize that version didn't support Vivaldi at all.

25. bo elam

That, I can tell :).

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.