Is Vipre Antivirus any good?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by general_zerohour, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has anybody used this yet ? It's pretty new wondering whether to try it out.

2. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I would say it's an awesome antivirus. It has great detection rate and removal. You can check out mrizos' review on Vipre on youtube.

3. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I tried the trial on my son's Win XP Home SP3:'( I had it installed for 3 days and it keep giving me spikes!It's speed was excellent,don't get me wrong.IMHO this should still be in beta.I'm going to wait until some of those bugs gets ironed out before I installs this again.

4. lotsamosi

lotsamosi Registered Member

Totally agree!
    Was an AVG pro user for several years and McAfee before that. Vipre uses far less resources and provides better protection.
    Even though I still have a year of AVG paid for, I'm not going back.

5. Well thanks for your replies I'll give it a go. if I have difficulties i'll go back to using Nod 32.

6. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Do you mind me asking how it's working for you?

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Anecdotal reports from a few users don't say that much.

I'm still looking for a good or decent comparative test, especially regarding the effectiveness of the real-time protection.

Testing on-demand scanning and removal capabilities don't mean that much, there is plenty of malware that you just can't remove once it has installed. Removing a low risk adware or simple virus might be acceptable, but if you have really nasty stuff on your computer you're usually better off restoring an image. Or format the harddrive !

I'm not sure what has been going on recently, but even as a 'final release' I've seen changes in different versions that were more than small. I'm not sure how stable the product is in that regard.

8. antivirus22

antivirus22 Registered Member

As i have said before, it will be at least 12 months before the actual detection rate can be "sort of" determined.

After a few independent tests by VB and AV comparatives etc we will know more.

If the detection rate is as good as Kaspersky and Avira it may be a viable alternative.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Actually it doesn't have to be as good as those to be a viable alternative to many Av's.

10. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Has VIPRE been part of any comparitive test like from AV-Test or similar o_O ( Excluding the VirusTotal based tests, which I don't think are accurate )

11. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Resource hog.. IMO..
    slow scanning speed

12. rookieman i have not tried this i really like the nod 32 v4 thats in pc now but freind of mine raves about this vipre says its quicker and lighter on resources but its huge he says its 103MB.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've seen adds at PC Mag for $10.00 dollars off this weekend only.

14. hawki

hawki Registered Member

On my Vista 64 PC you can hardly see that Vipre is there by any measure -- memory, cpu, speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.