Is using Windows DUN totally safe?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Rock Slide, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock Slide

Rock Slide Guest

Hello

Is the DUN safe to use for dialup? Any known flaws or security concerns with using it? or would using dialup software be safer to use, such as Earthlink, AOL, ect.... I am using Windows me for my OS. Thanks.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi RockSlide...... welcome :)

Well, I've used nothing [apart from one time I had Satellite/Broadband] but the DUN.... never used any other device/software.

We [here in Australia] on Dialup, simply get an ISP account, and just make a new internet connection thru the Wizard, or they walk you thru it and it's DUN [ :D could not help the dun pun, forgive me, lol].

A couple of the ISP locally provide a floppy and it's like a mini wizard, it does it for you, but does not install software, just makes the connection.

Depends on where you are I suppose, I know nothing about the States [presume you are from there mentioning Earthlink/AOL].

Someone else may answer regarding that.

Cheers, TAS

3. Rock Slide

Rock Slide Guest

Hi Tasssie_Devils

I guess my main concern was if there is any known security problems with using the Windows DUN. It just seems like everything "Windows" has flaws, Holes, ect.. so that's why i was asking about the DUN, if anyone knows. And now i'm DUN. :D

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Rock Slide,

AFAIK, DUN is a networking component of Windows. Just because you use a special dialer (AOL, Earthlink, AT&T, or NetZero) doesn't mean you aren't using DUN. They just sit on top of DUN. The dialing software are multipurpose. They are easier to configure and connect for beginners. They are good for the ISP because they can lock you into initially accessing the net through one point, them. Some make you visit their homepage (you may be able to change this), others give you little ads. I would always prefer to set up DUN myself (and bypass all their tripe), most ISPs that don't have a dialer have easy instructions how to do it. It is not that complicated. Some, (AOL, I think?) won't let you connect without using their special dialer.
    DUN is no less safe then any other Windows networking component (which is not saying alot! :D ). Just do the Windows updates and use a firewall.

5. Tassie_Devils

There you have it.... !

I've never even heard of a problem personally, but was not sure and did not want to mislead you.

Have fun with DUN! Oh gawd, another one! :D

Cheers, TAS

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I had dial up it was always a dun deal (ouch)

7. Rock Slide

Rock Slide Guest

Well, thanks Guys for the help. Looks like i'm goin' DUN, from now on! No more dial up software for me. I'm just totally DUN with that! :D

8. Tassie_Devils

Yep, it's been DUN to Death! DUN with DAT .....

..........for the time being...

:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.