Is TrueImage 2009 cd safe on NTFS?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by trassailve, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trassailve

trassailve Registered Member

I'm wondering if the rescue CD that TrueImage 2009 makes can safely be used to save disk images to a NTFS external drive.

The reason I'm asking is that I know the previous version, TI11 was not safe. I tried it several times on a couple external usb drives and it'd create damaged archives or damage other files.

Also, I know that Linux has a long history of not writing properly on NTFS drives.

I've been having my external drive partitioned as FAT32 just to make ti11 happy, but I'm tired of that. But I want even less to put my backup data at risk...

I know I can do a BartPE version, but I'm using Vista64, so that's not really an option. And I know I can do a VistaPE version. I tried doing that with ti11 but it didn't work out well.

The ready made CD image that TI2009 makes is much more convenient.... provided it's safe.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I've never had a problem saving images to an ntfs drive with the Rescue CD. I use ver 9 build 3677 and I did try the 2009 beta also. And I know people who use ver 10 cd without any problems writing to an ntfs drive.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I've never had a problem writing to a NTFS external drive but I do think there was some kind of an issue about the Linux stuff having a problem with a certain non-default NTFS configuration. I know it's vague but it's all I remember at my advanced years. It is buried in at least one post in the forum though. It also think the Linux stuff has been changed since then.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Here is the thread describing this issue. An explanation is given by Acronis Support in post 17.

5. trassailve

trassailve Registered Member

Hmmm....

Doesn't sound right....

I know a tiny bit about the NTFS problems under Linux and they weren't caused by ADS. They were slowly improving, but they were never really reliable.

The most reliable method, was of course when somebody made a wrapper to put around Microsoft's own ntfs driver. You couldn't distribute the driver, but you could distribute the wrapper and create you own disk that had a perfectly working ntfs driver.

There are newer hacked together / reverse engineered drivers that supposedly work, but the last I heard (last year), nobody but the author understood how they worked. Everybody was having to take the author's word that they were perfect & bug free.

It also doesn't sound quite like the problems I kept encountering. That files on my backup USB drive were getting damaged when I created images on there. There weren't any ADS files on the drive. Although I was using a NTFS destination drive and ti11 was creating files (which didn't have ADS.)

Still.... They say they fixed it, so based on their history of reliable programming....

I guess I'll keep that drive formatted as FAT32. Sigh.

Maybe I ought to buy another usb drive and dedicate that just to TrueImage.

Thanks for the info & link.

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

For what it's worth I've used TI version 10 for several years to write backup archives to NTFS drives in the recovery environment. I've had zero problems when writing image files of partitions. However, as I pointed out in the other thread, I've had lots of problems when trying to write individual files. A typical trigger event that will show the problem is if you restore a single file in the recovery environment to a different location in the file structure. This usually results in a corrupted file that is difficult to delete.

I've taken the easy way out - I never restore individual files from a TI archive in the Linux recovery environment. I do this only in Windows while using the native Windows NTFS drivers.

7. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I have also had no problems using ATI 2009 build 9646 in the way you propose.

Only you can find out if the software build you use will work with your hardware. Better to find out now if it works, than later when you really need it.

I expect that it will work.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image Home 2009 supports writing backup archives to external NTFS drives. Always make sure that you are using the latest build of Acronis bootable disc, if some issues arise using Full Version of Acronis bootable disc you can always try Safe Version (Safe Media can be downloaded from your account on our web site under registered products).

And you can always contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.