Is True Image suitable for backing up a fresh machine?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DeaDLocK, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeaDLocK

DeaDLocK Guest

Hi folks,

I've got a new laptop coming in the next couple of days.

I want to back-up the drive as it is when it first comes out of the box - i.e. fresh, and before any of the preloaded software has a chance to start. I basically want an image of the data as it looked before the machine was first turned on.

Could I for example use True Image on a Boot CD and then write the image to an external USB2 drive? Remember all this has to be done without even booting Windows.

Is this possible, and is True Image suitable for this?

I don't trust the hidden restore partition on the machine to contain the data as it is from the moment I turn it on (and the machine doesn't come with recovery CDs). I intend to sell it at some point so it's important that I get the drive back **EXACTLY** to the way it was before I even first turn it on.

Thanks,
    D

Thanks,
    D

2. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

TrueImage is perfect for what you want to do. I do it on my Dell.

I connect my USB external hard drive first, then boot to the setup menu, choose one-time boot from CD-ROM drive, insert my TrueImage boot CD and boot directly into TrueImage and image the internal hard drive.

That's about as pure as it gets without using the restore partition.

3. DeaDLocK

DeaDLocK Guest

Thanks. :)

That's all I needed to hear.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just make sure you elect to image the whole hard drive i.e. all partitions and PLEASE read this <previous thread> regarding data corruption during large file transfers.

Regards

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

And after you have that image made and verified, start the notebook. Make TrueImage the first software you install so that you can make backups as you set up the new baby.

I was doing this with my wife's new system yesterday when one program created an install from hell that really messed things up. No sweat, I restored the image from before that installation, ran it again with different options, and it went fine. Without that image, I'd have had a whole lot of work cleaning the system up so that I could continue the setup.

Just one suggestion, be sure to make backups of the entire hard drive not just the C partition. That way you know you can restore the image and have a bootable system.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.