is true image 2014 any better than old versions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by garry35, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

as topic is has 2014 still got the same problems as earlier versions ie. leftover files after uninstall etc.......
    Gazzer

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same problems? Maybe. New problems? Absolutely. I have been having a difficult time both running a backup and restoring one. I like to run differentials and delete some of the in between version(s) as you should be able to do with differentials. Acronis 2014 however likes to complain that a file is missing. Yes, I am sure it is set for differential and not incremental. Also, when restoring I have to make sure that partitions are already created on the drive that match the original size from the backup, else it refuses to restore to that drive.

3. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i have read here and various other places about acronis leftovers that remain even after uninstalling and cause problems, i have bought TU 2014 mainly to keep my imaging software up to date but if the problem with leftovers still remains i might just use the bootable rescue CD and not bother to use the installed part of the program

4. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I remember a few years back that Acronis caused me all sorts of problems after uninstalling it.
    I had to Google the problem to find out how to fix it. It left stuff behind that prevented me from getting into some Control Panel items, I think.
    I can't remember the full details now.

Also, my systems used to take ages to shut down sometimes with Acronis installed.
    I really believe there are much better imaging/backup programs around than Acronis.
    I don't understand the love for it, but I think it is waning now.

5. Atari800xl

Atari800xl Registered Member

My "love" for it is purely for the PE version, I never install it in "normal" Windows.
    I use it on Win8.1SE (a PE project from TheOven.org), it takes up around 40mb on my USB, no bloat in this case.

6. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I come from the old 8-bit days, and therefore prefer portable and bootable software instead of installed bloatware; which is what Acronis is. Bloatware. In looking at the latest version, it's something like 500+MB in size. Ridiculous!

I believe that a mission critical utility such as a disk imager (and other backup software) should only be complicated to the point of providing the necessary tools and features to accomplish the task. The only excess bloat acceptable here, IMHO, is support for a large variety of hardware. Everything else should be thrown out.

Cutesy icons
    Overly tedious scheduling, setup, and configuration
    Strange hybrid combinations of on-line and local help
    Social media
    Excessive networking
    Cloud storage
    Virtual machine simulation
    Mobile integration
    Feedback and online tracking
    Excessive duplication of host OS functionality within the backup program
    Custom GUI conventions
    Driver substitution or bare metal restore
    System maintenance and recovery utilities
    All that!

All that and more.. The installer version has a lot of those things, but the boot-disk version does not. And that is golden.

But most important of all - is that the software meet your requirements and function flawlessly. If backup software saves your bacon at crunch-time then it did its job and we can all have a party!

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If your having problems why not just install it create the recovery media and delete it!.. and manually delete the registry keys (if you find any left over that is) and manually delete files/folders from hidden folders...just boot from the CD/DVD when you want to recover. works every time for me

8. Atari800xl

Atari800xl Registered Member

I use it on a WinPESE thumb drive, made with a special Acronis script:
    http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=676.0
    Only 40mb of files needed, with a complete PE "around" it. Really the perfect solution if you ask me.
    This requires the special Acronis "Media Addon", though.

9. guest

guest Guest

@DVD+R

Hi,
    this is somewhat O/T

For Images, Backups/Restore etc I only use bootable ISO-files on CD,
    or to speed up things, use them with EasyBCD.

If I have to create a bootable CD from a installed program:
    - create a full backup of C:
    - install that program
    - create the ISO
    - restore C: from backup

That returns everything to normal and keeps me from fiddling the registry
    where one might overlook something.

(Apologies for breaking the thread)

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You don't have to have Acronis installed to make a Backup of C: though, once the CD is created that's all you need, you can do everything by the CD Menu once the CD Environment is loaded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.