Is threatfire ok?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by clayieee, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

i want to combo it with my G data as MBAM slows me down

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's OK yes, but IMO it will not slow you down less than MBAM does.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. clayieee

what does IMO means, i have doubts on this software but i have installed it. lighter than MBAM,

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

IMO = In My Opinion ;)

5. clayieee

thanks for the info, im not into abbrv that much

6. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

Threatfire is good.. but why you want Threatfire if Gdata has a behaviour shield? o_O

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Neither am I, but at Wilders there popup new weird words everyday :)

8. clayieee

i notice that too,

9. Essentials

Essentials Registered Member

Wasnt threatfire almost abandonware?

10. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

:thumb:

PC Tools picked it up *shudders*

According to threatfire.com it will boost your AV protection by a billion percent or something. In particular your GData by 46%. 2009 test mind you. Just the AV was tested, not the suite.

But hey, it's free.

11. clayieee

i just want an extra layer of protection, but MBAM slows me down a bit

12. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

By the looks of things you're already using it :)

It's an extra layer and it's free. If it's working for you then that's cool.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:thumb:

:D :D :D

14. ncage1974

ncage1974 Registered Member

I'm sure some here will disagree with you but i don't think its that great. After reading a glowing review for it (i think it was PCMag) i installed it on all my machines.

First i had problems with my media center PC. It was stuttering badly during Blu-Ray playback and the hardware i had should have been more than sufficient. I messed with it one day (not realizing it could be threatfire because i had just setup the machine). I end up sending the video card back and getting a new one....well same thing. So i reinstalled the OS and went step by step of installing software then trying blu-ray playback. Thats how i end up finding out it was threatfire and after i uninstalled it everything was fine again. I never had any performance problems with MBAM (and i run it on every machine i own) so i hate to see what you would experience with threatfire.

As a hobby i like to do malware testing. I won't ever go so far as making youtube videos or anything like that. I'm just a security nerd like alot of other people around here and i consider it fun. Anyways i tested threatfire and the machine got owned pretty quickly. I was less than impressed thats for sure. I think out of all the software i have ever tested its probably done the worst.

I much prefer the following HIPS type solutions:
    1. Comodo Defense+
    2. Appguard (not sure its considered HIPS but its HIPS like...)
    3. Norton Sonar (that comes with Norton security products)

Here are others recommended here to that i haven't tried:
    1. Online Armor
    2. Mamutu

I would be running Appguard if i didn't have problems with it. I did testing of appguard and it was up there in one of the best pieces of software i have ever tried but for some reason it wouldn't work correctly with my main workstation. I was so impressed with it i blew out my entire PC and reinstalled windows. Its wierd because almost all my machines have the same os/security software and it would run fine on my labtop but not on my main desktop. appguard support was never able to figure out the problem unfortunately. Maybe i'll give it a year and whatever bug was causing the problem will be fixed

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also here it fail when i tested and the other one you mention mamutu too but mamutu in paranoid mode will passed if you know how to respond to a pop up;)

16. ncage1974

Agreed about the popups. There are a lot of good security software out there but you have to know how to respond to popups so they are not for the novice. Comodo Defense+ is GREAT but very complex for most people. Ya never tried mamutu so i wasn't quite sure on that one. Only heard good things about online armor but i haven't tested that either because i'm pretty happy with the firewall in NIS.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

18. clayieee

I don't feel safe using Comodo. as i can see only matousec praises the program. i tried it every new release. Ended up sorry

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

in paranoid mode is very secure but in normal or medium mode it is not as secure as you would like cause of the white listo_O maybe:D

20. ncage1974

Thats weird because comodo did excellent in my testing. It not because the AV or the firewall ect...its the whole package together that makes it excellent. That being said there are so many dials & switches it is hard to use. I'm a very technical user and wild definitely have to spend some time with it to get it to perfectly meet my needs.

Don't get me wrong. I don't use it but i still thought it was excellent in my testing. I use NIS. If i wanted a free solution its probably what i would go with.

You should do some testing on your own rather than take peoples word for it. Like i said PCMag came out with an excellent review on threatfire and after my testing i termined it was subpar.

What kind of protection are you looking for? Protection from when your browsing? If you are there is nothing better than sandboxie but of course its not free but around $40USD for a lifetime license for every computer you own is a steal.

21. clayieee

what i hate on this AV is the fact that it caught up a lot. Most of it were false positives

22. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

23. ncage1974

You might be right on that because i wasn't testing for false positives. All my cases where definitly positive :)

24. clayieee

we have our own tests :)
    but men. i respect yours :thumb:

btw i stop using this threatfire. seems G data would be better to stand alone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.