Is this too much? Will it ruin/slowdown the system significantly?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I am thinking of the following:
    Win7 64bit UAC MAX
    1) NOD32 5.0 AV
    2) OA++ (AV set to on demand)
    3) MAMUTU
    4) PREVEX SAFE ONLINE
    5) ZEMMANA
    6) WinPatrol
    7) SANDBOXIE

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Too much for me.
    I don't know if my system will still boot if I have those installed.

my harddrive is really old and i have only 1GB RAM so it depends on your system too :)

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

sounds like a good recipe for BSODs from hell.

pick one or 2 from the list at the most. ;)

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I'd be very hesitant to buy/add NOD32 when installing OA++ with EAM incorporated already. What will NOD32 add in your proposed combo, lightness?
    The OA HIPS makes Mamutu pretty redundant and it also has a keylogging monitoring function, so exit Zemana.
    WinPatrol won't add much (well, perhaps sympathy for supporting it's A+ dev).
    Sandboxie, well yes, of course. Use one sandbox&browser for personal stuff and another for the rest.
    Also, take a look at EMET 2.1. You could add HitmanPro3/MBAM for on-demand/boot-up scans.
    Just make sure to add an imaging program and a backup solution and you're golden.
    And your rig won't suffocate.

5. guest

guest Guest

With OA HIPS you dont need mamutu or winpatrol
    With prevx safe online and OA HIPS you dont need Zemana
    I would install Online Armor Premium instead OA++ since you already have NOD 32, 2 av's at the same time is not a good idea also you already have Prevx which is ok since is compatible with other av's

Look at my signature the config is quite similar the difference is that I'm using Comodo (it's free and more complete than OA) instead OA

PD: Prevx probably will not exist in a few weeks since it was bought by webroot, the product to replace Prevx is called Webroot SecureAnywhere

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  6. jiggity

jiggity Registered Member

Expect BSOD's! :thumbd: o_O

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^^To make use of Prevx SOL when running a somewhat current Firefox (4/5/6), you need the beta right?
    Current PSOL3 otherwise won't work afaik.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Sandboxie (+ restrictions) and Nod32 is enough, I would also think about imaging your system if you haven't.

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I think its too much. I would just use
    NOD32
    OA ++
    keep image of the system + free skydrive(25 GB) for docs and files:)

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

[my2¢]Get rid of Mamutu, Prevx and WinPatrol.
    Keep OA++, NOD32 and Sandboxie[/my2¢]
    ;)

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Similar to Page, except I'd go for OA Premium instead of OA++ if you're keeping NOD32. Or to save yourself some money, drop NOD32, keep OA++, Sandboxie and just add Hitman Pro for daily scanning.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, you guys took all the words from my keyboard :D
    As many others said with OA++ there's almost no need for any other HIPS/BB. Just throw in Sandboxie, an On demand scanner as a second opinion such as HMP or Malwarebytes.

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Some important questions for you, before you can decide on your setup.

Do you have risky surfing/computing behavior?
    Are you an computer expert or average user?
    Do you want a HIPS or just a firewall?
    How many pop-ups do you want to handle?
    Do you already own licenses for those programs or you are thinking of buying them?
    Are you familiar with Sandboxie, do you want to use sandboxing?

One thing I can say for sure, independant of your answers to the questions above: drop Zemana, you are using a 64-bit system, and many anti-keyloggers I know are useless on 64-bit systems, including Zemana.

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Unnecessarily redundant. And some programs are not the best, imo, that you can use. What you need - as programs - for a strong security is:

- fw router
    - fw software and av
    - HIPS
    - sandboxing or virtualizing program.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

-and an imaging software

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  16. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

OMG,No offense but that is absolutley nuts.Imo its a matter of time when it comes to a crashing halt and nukes the system.o_O Great taste in security though.

17. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I agree with you Noob. That would be a setup I would if I was choosing from that list. :thumb:

18. GrammatonCleric

Yes Viral Analysis but on this system it's mostly home stuff
    Non certified above average user
    HIPS I like granularity in control, I want to know what does what and when.
    I am ok with pop-ups when I install stuff but not be deluged with it, hence I like MAMUTU.
    Yes I own lic for all but I have 5 PC's at home so I can move some of the lic to them that way they are not wasted.
    I am familiar with Sandboxie however the exeprimental 64bit portion does not work on my system so I am not 100% confident in Sandboxie protection.

I like Mamutu since it adds another layer of protection to OA++ just in case I made a 2 am tired response to a OA HIPS popup. MAMUTU is only chatty when the required permission fits specific guidelines that the software considers as "interesting".

The only reason I added prevex is that I discovered that trusteer report boged down my system, however I am new to PRevex solution so I do not know how much that bogs my system down. Also trusteer does not protect all the sites just the 100 they are in partner with. If I want all sites I have to purchase a lic. Finally, I tested Prevex against few Soft keyloggers and indeed they blocked all the attempts at logging keys at the "protected sites" so I was happy with that. But again I don't know the future of that solution.

Will the new Webroot Safe Anywhere allow only a "safe online" like solution or does one have to install their whole security suite? (AV, FIrewall etc).

yes I use Acronis Solution for HD image but it takes 3 hours to re-image my system and it's quite space hungry so I don't do it often (once every 3 months).

Edit: I use OA++ since I want the AV scanner but the scanner in disabled in Real Time, I use it only as an ON-Demand scanner or when I am thinking of testing something risky (or when paying bills). I hope that the OA "disable scanner check box" actually disables the scanner and not just removes it from options. :)

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

My two cents is don't take the paranoia-setups that are always suggested on these forums seriously. Just have the mindset that less is more.

Ask yourself security questions like...

Do I actually need a real-time AV? Maybe regular scans (MBAM, Hitman Pro) together with a HIPS is what I want?

Maybe HIPS is just waaay too many questions to care about and instead it only becomes stressing? Virtualization is the modern approach these days, like SandboxIE, DefenseWall and AppGuard.

Threatfire is out of the question since I'm close to hitting the nail on the coffin, but Mamutu on the other hand is alive and kicking and simplifies the role of keeping granular control over what's happening (and is most probably bad one way or another).

Those sort of things. Lean and mean, not in the way but only does what suits YOUR needs. The only good word I saw in this thread was "BSOD", cause that's in theory the only thing you can be sure about to expect with that many programs trying to "cooperate".

Hope my thoughts were helpful.

20. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

NOD32 5.0 AV, Mamutu and Sandboxie should be more than enough. Keep regular backups and you'll be fine.

21. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Personally as av I prefer Avira or Kaspersky. Mamutu is a behavior blocking, it's better a real HIPS. Online Armor it's all you need. Ok Sandboxie and ok too -right, I forgot it ams963 ;) - an imaging software.

22. GrammatonCleric

Wouldn't OA and MAMUTU offer a more robust HIPS protection?
    OA would provide classic HIPS
    Whereupon MAMUTU would provide the behavioral hips if by accident I allowed something via OA HIPS that indeed is suspicious.

23. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

x2

keep it simple

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Doesn't OA++ have Emsisoft's own AV/AM engine which already has Mamutu built into it?

25. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

No. More does not equal better. The more you add the more potential for conflict and the greater the attack surface. Adding Mamutu on top of OA may be increasing your chance for infection. If you're concerned about making mistakes with OA then make sure you have a backup strategy, don't add a second HIPS-type solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.