Is this sufficient security?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fizzbin, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

for a second opinion from another excellent scanner with a different engine ;)

Alphalutra1

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just use online scanners like kaspersky, ewido and others to check

3. Alphalutra1

yes, but they cannot check in safe mode, require internet access, and many do not clean infections. Also, most require the use of active-x which means a browser that uses internet explorers engine :doubt:

Alphalutra1

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can,t agree with 2 AVs on a system any way.

5. Alphalutra1

Why not, they don't both run in real time. In fact, when you don't even install antivir's guard, you never can have real time conflicts. That's like saying you can't stand having a-squared and ewido or any two spyware removal programs that have no real guard but run on-demand only. It's the exact thing as an on-demand scanner, but with much more flexibilty and effectiveness (since it can be run in safe mode, quarantine objects, have its scanning options configured, etc.)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be u are true but ATM I can stay well with one AV.

7. Fizzbin

Fizzbin Registered Member

Well, we've uninstalled OA. Between it and GoBack, there was too much polling going on, and my friend said it was driving her crazy, and she felt her surfing was being slowed down.

She also just told me she gets Spy Sweeper free with her ISP, but she says she doesn't like it and doesn't want it installed as her real-time anti-spyware. She has never tried the newer version 5.0, though, so I might talk her into giving it a try since she gets it free.

As for a firewall, at the moment, I've got Sunbelt Kerio PF v. 4.3.x installed. I like Outpost Pro better personally, but my friend didn't.

I also have the web shield in Avast turned off, as I don't think it's needed and can cause compatibility problems, especially if she decides to go back to Zone Alarm.

8. Fizzbin

Fizzbin Registered Member

Yes, I'll do that, and I appreciate your interest.

Also, if anyone is still following this thread, here's an update:
    I uninstalled GoBack. She feels comfortable having me image with Acronis TI, and she will back up her own data regularly.

As for other security, we've gone back to the setup described on the previous page with OA, Windows firewall, etc. She really likes OA, i.e. it doesn't irritate her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.