Is this site (and program) reliable?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I just received an e-mail for a product that looks interesting but never having heard of the publisher or the program I decided to do some digging. One of the download sites I found was Tech-Pro.net. The site logo says "tried and tested software you can trust". Is this true? I know I can trust CNET but.....

The program in question can be founds at http://www.tech-pro.net/spotmau-powersuite.html The publishers home page is at spotmau.com

Any comments will be appreciated.

By the way the program supposedly sells for $99 but the e-mail is offering it for $34.94 through RegSoft Digital River. I did find a few comments on the net that the program is one to stay away from http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/spotmau.com

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That just means there's another website linked there that has issues, it likely has nothing to do with this company or the product. That kind of thing happens all the time. However, my suggestion is to go with other more well known products that can do the same job.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

But that "suspect" site shows when you click 'About Us' and scroll down to 'Contact Information' under 'Sales, Bills and License Code Requests'. I agree with finding more well known products.

bgoodman4,

IMO, I think the page to the actual software is cheesy with the multiple instances of the rotating "Cool" sign and red "WOW!!" :gack:. If you don't need this software then avoid it as there are others ways to do the same things. Better to be safe than sorry and/or waste $$$.

Have a look here. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,20389525

If you really want to dig, look under your WOT link under 'Owner: whois' and search around. Here's the link.
    http://whois.domaintools.com/spotmau.com

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're right, I spoke too soon. I'd stay away from here.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Looking at that WHOIS, no legitimate company would use a private registration ISP like Domains by Proxy.
    Run, bgoodman4, Run!

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I also edited my last post a little. It just doesn't look good so far without further digging which I'm not good at.

I do totally agree with you about peoples first assumptions about a site when looking at tools like WOT or McAfee SiteAdvisor. Details are very important and often overlooked. I only wish I knew more about investigating whois info.

8. Tony

Tony Registered Member

9. Tony

Tony Registered Member

10. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Any unsolicited e-mail for any product is always suspect. I have a rule of finger regarding those type of messages, Delete.

11. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments. I will do as most have suggested and RUN. As probably has been noticed from another thread I am having a bit of trouble with my PC just now so I will revisit this thread for tools to do things like backing up the various sections of the PC (MBR, drivers etc) once the problem has been dealt with. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.