Is This Setup Ok For Spyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I am a new NOD32 user. Along with NOD32, I am running Spybot S&D and AdAware. I just saw a program on CNBC about spyware which really makes you think about what spyware can do.

Would my computer be more secure if I were running Spybot and AdAware with an antivirus software which also has spyware blocking abilities? Or am I ok the way I am?

I ask the question here and not in the NOD32 forum because I don't have any problems with NOD32. Thought this forum would be more appropriate.

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Make sure you have a properly configured firewall. Scan all incoming emails. You should be safe if you stick to mainstream websites. Always scan each download. Use a secure browser like Firefox/Opera. Be wary of sites that require you to click on this to view that. I don't even use MM Flash. Be wary of FREE programs. If the program doesn't come preloaded with windows, then you should investigate its origin before you hit the download/install key.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD/INSTALL ANYTHING THAT YOU DON'T KNOW/UNDERSTAND.

I only run a firewall and an AV email scanner. No problem for over 3 years.

3. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I forgot to say that I do use a firewall. Zone Alarm Pro. I am very careful about where I go or what I download. I just wanted to know if it would be better to have a antivirus with spyware blocking abilities than one without. I always read about layered protection, so I thought this might be something I needed to know. I can move this to the NOD32 forum if that would be better.

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I suspect you will be okay. BubbleVision is pure HYPE. They are probably pumping Symantec today with that spyware piece. You can't go wrong if you use the contrarian approach with BubbleVision.

Layered protection is fine, if you can find applications that will co-exist. I demand speed and efficiency. That's why I use image files to backup my system. In general, you need to click on a download link to import spyware. The McAfee or Kaspersky AV engine sports the best malware detector. However, you will experience a slower PC due to the more agressive scaner.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

spywareblaster is a good addition

6. Diver

Diver Guest

Actually, your brain is your best defense. Also, use Fierfox instead of IE.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

That’s a very good start.

You are better off with a top notch Anti-Virus and layers of other specialized world class software.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=315075

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

8. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi BlackSpear. After doing some reading from the links you provided, I have installed a few other anti-spyware software on my computer.

This is what I have now.......

NOD32
    Zone Alarm Pro
    SpyBot S&D
    AdAware
    SpywareBlaster----New
    SpywareGuard-----New
    Ewido-------------New

Thanks Blackspear. :)

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

That's even better. I would next look at Firefox and Proxomitron with filters.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.