Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kgplumb, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgplumb

kgplumb Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image 7 and I am trying to clone my hard drive to another drive but the new drive won't boot.

The original drive is 200 Gig divided into 4 partitions, the C drive being 19 Gig. The new drive is 20 Gig. I made an image of the C drive and restored it to the new 20 G ig drive.

When I boot up the new 20 Gig drive it hangs at a Windows XP screen that I don't get when I boot from the original drive.

Is what I am doing possible or am I missing something?

Also I tried to boot from an Acronis boot disc and clone the drive that way but neither the key board or mouse will work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi kgplumb,

In case others get confused I think it worth pointing out that we are talking about "imaging" here not "cloning".

Selecting only the C: partition rather than the whole drive (i.e. all 4 partitions) means that the Master Boot Record (MBR) isn't copied into the image. Hence the reason your new drive failed to boot. You will need to use the fixmbr utility which you can download from the link provided in the Forum "Sticky" titled <PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST>. Note that this doesn't guarantee success as some of the software now on your new drive may be dependent on software that's still residing on one or more of other partitions of your 200GB drive.

Do you use a USB keyboard and mouse? If so then it's likely that the necessary Linux device drivers are not included in the boot rescue CD. If you're not using build 638 then download/install this latest version of TI 7 and create a new boot rescue CD. You may well find that your keyboard/mouse will then be detected.

Regards

3. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

Minorcaman

I would like to make sure that I understand you before I start to use my newly-bought TI8.

I have 2 drives, 2 partitions on each drive. I had planned to image the C: drive (boot partition on drive 0) onto the D: drive (first partition on drive 1). This is the way I've always used Ghost.

Are you saying that if I do this, and need to restore the image from the D: drive back to the C: drive, that the restored C: will not boot?

If so, that's nuts! What would be the point of creating the image if it is not functional? I have no need to image the E: partition (second partition on drive 0). But you seem to be saying that, unless I image the entire drive 0, the restored volume will not boot.

If I have understood you correctly, at least I have found out before breaking the seal on the TI, and can return it.

Tks for any clarification

Gwilki

4. kgplumb

kgplumb Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman

Thanks for the reply. I burned the fixmbr utility image to a disc as per the instructions ran it on the computer and it booted right up!

Everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks for your help!

To Gwilki
    I think you are right, you have to make an image of ALL partitions and restore them all otherwise the restored disc won't boot. I kind of had the same problem and running the fix as I said sorted everything out for me but it seems that this is not a fix that works everytime.

I could never get Norton Ghost to work for me so that is why I switched to TI and so far I have never had to restore an image because of a drive failure (touch wood). But I do wonder if in an emergency my images would work but I figure at the very least I can restore the system software and explore the images retrieve needed files.

Kevin

5. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

Thanks, Kevin

It just does not make any sense to me to be forced to image a partition that I do not want to image, solely to have the one that I need bootable. What would someone do with only one hard drive? He would need to image the entire drive onto one of the partitions that is, itself, being imaged. As you said, the route that you ended up going will not always work. If he kept more than one backup, he would be imaging the backup image. The image would get huge in a big hurry.

I'm glad that I found this out before using the TI, and counting on it as a backup for my active partition. I've seen nothing in the user manual that clearly sets out that this software cannot be used to image only the boot partition. It makes me wonder why the option to image only the boot partition is offered.

For me, it looks like I'm back with Ghost. I had no real problems with it; I just don't like Symantec's way of doing business.

Tks again
    gwilki (Grant)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Grant,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

When you create the image of a single partition the MBR is not included into the image file. When you then restore this image to the hard disk the MBR that was on that disk will remain the same as it had been before. It means that if you restore the system partition to the same place where it was resided before you will be able to boot the computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

Thank you very much Ilya. After writing the message last night, I realized that I had missed that point. I should have re-read all the posts before putting fingers in gear. :blink:

I'm still having problems imaging from one SATA drive to another, but I now realize that is an ASUS problem, and I'm going back and forth with them.

Thanks for your reply, and your support of your product.

Grant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.