Is this possible?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I goofed. I've been playing with the Freeze option for about a week now, kinda like it a little. Last night I was doing some surfing and saved a bunch of Bookmarks. Then turned my system off for the night. Suddenly I realized that the next time I turn my system on it will revert and I will lose those Bookmarks; I don't use the Anchor feature.

Is it possible, when I turn my system on this evening, to catch it in the FD pre-boot screen, go to another Snapshot, turn off the Freeze from that Snapshot, then reboot back into my former frozen Snapshot in order to retrieve those Bookmarks?

Knowing the control that FD has over the system, I don't want FD to get confused or anything. Thanks.

Acadia

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't know for sure if it will work, but it sounds logical that it will work.
    This is on your own risk and don't blame me if it didn't work.

I call the frozen snapshot with the bookmarks = Bookmark Snapshot.

1. Reboot your computer
    2. Press the F1-key in the FD Pre-boot Screen
    3. Choose another snapshot than the "Bookmark Snapshot"
    4. Freeze that snapshot. This will remove the frozen status of the "Bookmark Snapshot"
    5. Unfreeze the snapshot with option "remove freeze storage"
    6. Reboot in the "Bookmark Snapshot" and check your bookmarks and freeze it back, if necessary.

Let me know if it worked or didn't work :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Erik, but I now will not need to do this. I did it the hard way, did my research over again and refound the webpages that I wanted, thanks again.

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

OK man. No sweat, maybe you can try it the next time. :D

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hey Erik

This sounds like another FDISR test for you.:D

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

Yes it is and I will test it one day, since I'm interested in frozen snapshots, but I have other things on my mind right now. First things first.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

heh more creative uses not supported?

@EA & acadia: very sharp you two; great lateral thinking for recovery of a probably common mistake particularly late at night when the moon is high and unnatural urges take overrrrrr,,,,
    you know what I mean :D

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

How about moving the freeze storage while in the other snapshot? That way it's not lost.

9. ErikAlbert

Depends on what the user wants.
    If the user wants to keep it, he will move it and that must be an experienced FDISR-user, who knows where the freeze storage is located. So that solution is a workaround.
    If the user doesn't want to keep it, he can unfreeze it with removal of the "freeze storage.arx".

I wonder how FDISR will react, when I don't unfreeze the snapshot and delete the file "Freeze Storage.ARX" or rename the folder in something else and then REBOOT. Must be unpleasant surprise for FDISR. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.