Is this possible trouble

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by hardhead, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

Early this morning I noticed that Port Explorer was showing CCapp.exe as hidden.

Ccapp.exe is the Common Client CC App. It installs with Norton AntiVirus and NIS.

This program has never been hidden before. Can I get some feed back please on this issue. Here's a pic

Regards,
    hardyhar

Attached Files:

• PE1.JPG
      PE1.JPG
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  2. dog

dog Guest

Hi hardyhar, ;)

No, That's its Normal status.

Steve

Attached Files:

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi hardyhar, any connected process that is hiden or not showing a GUI, say when iconised to the systray shows in red. Normally nothing to worry about unless you do not recognise the process in which case PE helps you pin down a Trojan..

Pilli

4. hardhead

Thanks dog and Pilli for your prompt replys. :D

I'm just curious as to why it just started showing hidden now. Any ideas?

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    if a process has a (sys)tray icon and it's GUI has not the focus (like being minimized for instance) it can show up as red/hidden in Port Explorer. Click on the systray icon and you'll see it black again.
    Does this help for this specific process as well?

6. hardhead

Hi Jooske,
    I tried clicking on the NAV and NIS icon in the systray and it still stays red.
    I forgot to add something that when I tried to close PE last night it took forever to close. It was telling me something, however I can't remember exactly what it said. :'(

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

"closing down threads" or thing like that.
    Can happen, nothing wrong with that, open contr+alt+del and close down the closing down process and start Port Explorer again.
    It will look all nice and fresh again with clean sockets :)
    And your windows will seem to run a bit faster as it closes down all threads windows left open and re-claims all that space again for your current running processes.
    My own systems are faster witn Port Explorer up, and an occasional closing and restarting the GUI does really free space!

8. hardhead

Yes Jooske, you refreshed my memory, it did say closing down threads. :D
    I did as you said above and I still the the process iis hidden. Correct me if I'm wrong...
    If I'm using a router will the sockets still work correctly.
    I'm just a tad shabby on this issue.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes your sockets will work fine with a router.
    Regarding the colour problems ie. Red connections. Please read through the help file which explains how PE deals with hidden sockets etc. :)

HTH Pilli

10. hardhead

Thanks Pilli for your help and prompt reply. ;)

11. dog

dog Guest

Hi hardyhar, ;)

My ccapp has always shown as hidden, because there's no GUI (general user interface) for the process, thats why PE shows it as a hidden process, as it should. Where as something like proxomitron will show as hidden if the GUI is minimized to the system tray, but if the GUI is open it no longer displays as hidden. ;) Hehe ... Maybe your memory is a little shot :p it happens to me all the time :) ... it's the beginning of ageing to seemingly begins shortly after the age of 20 or so. Personally I ~love~ being a little senile, it makes everything Old seem New again. :) (This wasn't intended as an insult in anyway, sorry if it in anyway comes off that way)

Being behind a router won't affect anything in PE ... I lurk from behind one as well.

HTH, ;)

Steve

12. hardhead

LOL.....
    I suppose you can say my mind went to the train and didn't get off. :D
    I was just a little blank when it showed up hidden as it had been visible for a year now. I didn't put two and two together as there is no GUI for the process. I was just a little confused as why PE didn't show this before. I read the help file and the sockets can also display as red if their parent process has hung or crashed but not yet terminated.

I also found a link to Symantec here that describes the process. Funny thing is that it have never shown disabled but I have received that CCapp.exe had stop responding when shutting down my pc. This has probally happened a few times in the past. I will monitor it more closely from the services and enable recovery to know when this happens again promptly.

Thanks for everyones help in this problem.

Regards,
    hardyhar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.