is this possible or.......

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Huupi, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

hi all, Have just reset my rig back to factory default [Grrrrr,],with all the **** in there,why, thats another sad story, but is it possible to install first defense,then make a secundary,boot to secundary and update the primary with archive snapshot,yes this sound quite easy, but my real question is can FD handle the updating without errors or crashing because there is a huge difference between the archived snapshot and the primary one.Is this already done by somebody ?This is the ultra real stress test for FD so i am a bit cautious,is there anybody out there to make me a little more confident.

huub.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After copy/update the destination snapshot = source snapshot, no matter what the contents of the destination snapshot was and there is no proof so far that the copy/update failed.
    So when you copy/update from archive to actual primary snapshot the contents of your actual primary snapshot will be equal to the contents of your archive and you will have your old computer back.
    If you don't trust it copy/update from archive to new snapshot and remove the actual primary snapshot after testing the new snapshot.

Peter has done a copy/update from winXPproSP2-snapshot to winVISTA-snapshot and at the end his winVISTA-snapshot contained winXPproSP2 and this proves that copy/update is very strong.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Huub

Something I did as an experiment was I updated my regular achive which is XP Pro SP2, and all my software. Then I restored my Vista image to play with it. Usually I would just restore my XP image, but one time for grins, I booted to my secondary and did an update of my Primary(vista) from the Archive(XP pro). Took a bit of time, but worked like a champ. That ultra stress test enough for you.

Also I have restored an image from when I first got my machines, and updated them with current images with full software install. That isn't even a stress test.

Pete

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

So Peter and Albert you are used to known this already possible and FD can hold up the strain you set it to,i never read about it on this forum ( its my ignorance) but in the meantime i did already what i myself suggested and it took 12 min. to update my primary from archive,after this i lost my desktop and my documents [anchored] but this of little impact because i always have backup copies on a external drive,only have to reconfigure the desktop and recover my documents,so can you guess i am in awe for this livesaver FDISR.

5. Peter2150

I don't anchor anything, so it keeps it simpler. Interestingly updating to and from the archives is much faster than one snapshot to another.

6. ErikAlbert

Anchored objects are NOT included in copy/update and that means they aren't stored in any snapshot or archive.
    You didn't lose your desktop and documents, they were never included in your archive.
    If you anchor you must backup these anchored objects with an Image Backup Software.

If you don't anchor everything is included in snapshots and archives.

Anchoring is often used for personal data and decreases the size of snapshots and archives.

Suppose you have a work snapshot and rollback snapshot and
    your system takes 10 GB and your personal data takes 100 GB

If you don't anchor your personal data
    1. Your work snapshot = 110 GB
    2. Your rollback snapshot = 110 GB
    That is 220 GB in total on your harddisk.

If you anchor your personal data
    1. Your work snapshot = 10 GB
    2. Your rollback snapshot = 10 GB
    3. Your personal data = 100 GB
    That is 120 GB in total on your harddisk.

You see the difference ?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hey Erik, I understand these all for quite awhile already and i myself do it on similar lines but i doubted the strenght of these software i my case to do a copy/update wich such that different snapshots, but in the end it works like a charm,.....most impressed !!

8. ErikAlbert

OK then. I knew in theory that FDISR was strong, but Peter's test was valuable to me, because he proved
    that practice = theory

If Peter has changed winVISTA into winXPproSP2 by just adding, removing and replacing objects without errors, than you know that the copy/update is very strong and reliable and it also proved that ARCHIVES are reliable.
    I was also impressed by this test, but never could try it myself, because I don't have winVISTA.

9. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Because of Peters and EA's torture testing, I have done all sorts of copying/updating that I would never have considered with any other software, and have NEVER had an error. It seems that whatever you ask it to do, FDR just DOES IT!
    I have given up even looking for errors after copy/update because there never have been any, (except due to security software settings which are now well known)
    Use this software with confidence. It is unlikely to let you down.

Ken

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have very limited experience of using FD-ISR so I may be misunderstanding what copy/update means. Peter wrote "did an update of my Primary(vista) from the Archive(XP pro)" I assumed that all that is really happening is that the Primary is being totally replaced by the Archive ? In a sense I find the word update a bit misleading - to my way of thinking it suggests/implies that some files remain the same and some are changed or updated - when all that is really happening is that one snap shot is overwriting/replacing another or am I totally wrong ?

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Copy, update, refresh all mean the same, placing an exact replica of a snapshot onto another snapshot.

Yes, I agree, it can be a bit confusing, I tend to say copy/update when I am passing new info (say new software and program updates) from one snapshot to another, and use the word refresh when I am just making sure my secondary has an uptodate exact copy of primary before I try out some new software.

12. Peter2150

Hi Longview

I used to use the term refresh, but it confused people. Copy/update is the name of the menu item in the program. But yes bottom line is I converted a Vista snapshot, back to XP from an XP snapshot and it worked fine.

Pete

13. ErikAlbert

FDISR calls almost everything copy/update. That's why beginners often use the function "export" to archive snapshots, because they can't find "archive" or "backup" in the menus.
    But if you pay attention to the screens and you do a copy/update from snapshot to archive you will see the word ARCHIVE and when you do a copy/update from archive to snapshot you will see the word RESTORE.
    The function "Freeze" + "Re-freeze" (doesn't exist in menus) is also a kind of copy/update of the "Freeze Storage.arx".
    Copy is more for new snapshots/archives, while Update is more for existing snapshots/archives.

FDISR calls it Copy/Update on the menu, because it doesn't know yet what the user will choose as source and destination snapshot/archive.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  14. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I have to admit i was one of those beginners who used export feature first until i had read the whole helpfile.

I have used FDISR to test and change my security software / normal software and FDISR has never let me down.:thumb:

Kristian

15. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya:) Is there anything wrong with exporting a snapshot to my external hard drive? The image I know is saved with the .arx extension.

Can I not then use tools/options/archives and specify the external hard drive location eg F:. Once specified (+ assuming my usb hard drive is plugged in), can I not then copy update the archived file from there to either my primary or secondary snapshot?

Howard:)

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

In all cases you can !!

17. zoril

zoril Registered Member

kk:)

H

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Everything above is so very true and to my own amazement gives a tremendous lift that we can have 100% confidence in at least a choice few software applications of importance, also in this case i wouldn't dare trust so totally in any other rollback app other then FD-ISR unless it could prove the same equal results.

Very Commendable!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.