Is this Password secure?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CustomHVAC, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

I need a password I can remember (don't want it saved anywhere).

I started with a word, lets say SECURE

I then add a number 1234567 into the word like this;

S1E2C3U4R5E67

Then few characters to help like $$$$$$$$$$$$$ into the password

S$1$E$2$C$3$U$4$R$5$E$6$7

I ask this because it's easy for me to remember & enter
    (just keep going back to the beginning & use the arrow keys to skip ONE space when entering each letter/number)
    Can this be cracked easily if I use this method for my TRUECYPT?
    Thanks for any help you can give! (very new to encryption)

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

If it is on your computer or on the internet nothing is secure,period!It my be hard to get to but it can be got,lol.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can try passphrase (to combine first, last, etc letters, address): tIhgafwaniKa26OV
    I use passphrases to passsword passwords saved in documents (up to 64 characters long).

4. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

I know being given a link is a pain sometimes - but this seems a reasonably practical guide to creating passwords that are more difficult for software to defeat. Apart from anything else, this link moves beyond pure decryption and into weaknesses that enable password recovery from other sources within the operating system.

Choosing Secure Passwords; Bruce Schneier

Edit: Additional; worth reading through the ensuing comments below the article, to gain a fuller overview.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  5. malformed

malformed Former Poster

Generally that's a sound idea - Creating a simple algorithm like you have is ideal. Example: using the domain name or application name combined with inserting a predetermined string (ie someones phone number + a string of symbols [ $@#] in alternation.). Using a method like this will create secure passwords, which are easy for you to remember and hard to crack. I generally use the same method for most passwords, but also rely on a password generator for less used or more sensitive passwords - Which I keep backed up and accessible should the unforeseen happen, protected by a similar yet different algorithm that is used only for the purpose of protecting that stored data.

So just to confirm, your methodology is sound and will create secure passwords

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use Keepass password safe's "Password Generator" and a password from 15 to 50 digits on a False named document and I use a feature of BufferZone to keep the document from being read and I use Opera Browser which has its own password safe which has a master password of 50 digits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.