Is this normal..?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Kielty, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

After a manual scan has completed i get hundreds of entries in the log file stating files - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

A few are posted...

C:\SwSetup\RoxioCB9\EMC_HPCPC_905\Data1.cab » CAB » albumbrowserstrings.14.0C0F520B_7051_4183_A72F_D9BE350A16D8 - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\SCX-4200\Printer\Vista\Application\SPanel\SPanel\Help\help_EL.chm » CHM » /#SYSTEM - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\lib\charsets.jar » ZIP » sun/nio/cs/ext/Big5_Solaris.class - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

There are literally hundreds if not thousands, why is this? there does not seem to be a problem with my pc in any other way? 2gb ram, 159gb free disk space..

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you using Vista with UAC enabled? If so, delete the system and user temporary folders and recreate them so that they have the appropriate permissions.

3. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Yes i am running vista with uac. can you give me an idiots guide to doing as you ask!!!?

4. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

right, i think i have managed to do what is suggested by deleting the temp folders.

Still the same issue with both ESS and EAV3.0

This issue does not occur in v2.7o_O

Is anyone running vista getting multiple log entries showing...

decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

while running ess or eav3.0?

5. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

anyone...?

6. kofi

kofi Registered Member

I also have the same problem and I have switched back to 2.70.39.
    I do not know what is going wrong. I have made several posts in the forum among with many others. I think that Eset is aware of the problem, but I do not know if or when is going to solve it. I do not know if SP1 or a new version of ESS will make a difference.......

7. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I am literally getting hundreds of entries in the scan logs...

I am a little concerned ESS is not protecting as it should..

Anyone else noticing this? check your scan logs...

8. kofi

kofi Registered Member

Have a look at here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=194717

Eset is aware of the problem. I think that in a newer version the problem will be solved, but I do not know when.....

You can disable UAC and you will be fine with ESS..

9. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Thanks Kofi, this is a disgrace, why have eset not fixed this? I do not want to switch off UAC i just want my AV to work properly:thumbd:

10. Marcos

TThis is not a bug, the error is caused by insufficient rights when temporary folders are deleted and recreated with UAC disabled. If you want to keep UAC enabled, make sure to delete both the user and system temp folders (by default %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp and %SystemRoot%\TEMP) and created them whilst having UAC enabled.

11. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Marcos, this does not make any difference at all. I have UAC enabled all the time. Deleting and recreating the Temp folders and then running a scan - same result.

Any other ideas? I find it hard not to believe there is a fault in ESS v3 - Nod v2.7 does not have this fault with UAC enabled why does v3?

12. Marcos

Perhaps you could run Process Explorer from Microsoft to monitor the activity during a scan. This would reveal the exact temporary folder where the scanner is trying to extract temporary files. Checking the permissions for that folder might give you a clue.

13. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Vista has a lot of files that are not accessable to anyone or anything.
    Unless you are very, very computer literate you will not get at them, MSoft has done this for security reasons, that is, they can't be hacked or got at.

If you go into the "User" folder and then the Default folder, then AppData,
    there will be folders in there, click on any of them and you cannot get into them.
    That is just one example of it. Once I counted the files NOD32 could not scan and it was about 50,000 files ot around that.

Other AV programs do not list them in their scans, but ESET does.

It's not a bug with ESET.

14. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

With Total Commander I have no problem whatsoever to get into that directory and open up all the dirs... It's a thing of programs, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.