Is this how Indonesia topped the malicious traffic charts?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SweX, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2013/10/23/is-this-how-indonesia-topped-the-malicious-traffic-charts/

2. guest

guest Guest

I think I'll need to give some words here. :D

Well, nothing surprising really. More people use the internet, more internet traffic. One thing I should say is let's not overhype the piracy rate because any countries with high population rate but middle to low economy growth rate will achieve pretty much the same results.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I was hoping that you would find the thread ;)

4. guest

guest Guest

Heh, I'm not the only Indonesian in this forum. :p

But yeah, it can be roughly translated that internet cafes are usually infected here. They probably use something like Shadow Defender to revert the changes, IDK. But recently, in the particular place where I live anyway, internet cafes are slowly dusted. People just prefer to use their smartphones, if not then they will use their laptops. Lots of cheap laptops here. It's quite sad that the internet cafe where I usually visit on the older days is now changed to a boutique. Really sad because that's where I got to know the PC internet for the first time. :'(

About the piracy, cracked software aren't always malicious. Not that I support piracy anyway. But that's the fact. Also, with you believe it or not, pirates are smarter than ordinary home computer users. Unless of course, you're talking about newbie pirates. They fall to the traps every now and then. But the more experienced pirates are rather different.

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Interesting, so as smartphones become more pervasive internet cafes are dying off.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha that's true :D

7. guest

guest Guest

Most people who just met the internet here only go to Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube. And we are flooded by Android smartphones here with WiFi feature and free hotspots are available in schools, restaurants, offices, etc. It's understandable if smartphones are the better way to go for those purposes.

The people who use the internet for school tasks or gaining info also go with the smartphones. Just whip out the smartphones from the pockets because they're always connected to the internet.

It's not that internet cafes are completely abandoned. Some people still use them for printing or playing online games for hours because their desktops/laptops aren't powerful enough to handle them. But for the aforementioned purposes above, they usually will use their smartphones.

And of course, as I said, it's what's happening in the particular place where I live. My country is large. To analogize it, what's happening in Texas may never been spoken in California. Although I doubt that it makes much difference for the western and middle part of my country.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.