Is this history of NOD32's name correct?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mele20, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I always wondered how NOD32 got its name and I've never seen explanation until tonite. The explanation is on a page that appears to be fraudulent. Nonetheless, the explanation of NOD32's name is fascinating. Is this correct?

"NOD 32" . . . what does it mean ?
    The very first version of what is now called NOD 32 was created in Czechoslovakia around the time the first computer viruses appeared. At that time a popular TV series was being broadcast on Czech Television called "Nemocnica na Okraji Mesta" ... in English, "Hospital at the Edge of the City". The first computer viruses attacked disk boot sectors, which are located at the edge of a disk. An antivirus program could in a sense be considered a hospital ... "nemocnica" in the Slovak and Czech languages. The new antivirus program was named “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku” ... which in English would read “Hospital at the Edge of the Disk”. “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku” was abbreviated to "NOD".

Today's NOD 32 is, of course, many many generations on from the original NOD. The 16-bit version was called NOD-ICE and when the 32-bit processor appeared, a brand new program was created from the ground up to suit this new platform ... and “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku 32”, or "NOD 32", was born. "

This is from Nod-32.com site.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's true - ESET seats in Slovakia ;-)

3. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Hi Mele.

Nod-32.com is NOT a NOD32 website!

The passage you quoted appears to have been plagiarized from http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/about/about.htm

=====
    "NOD32" . . . what does it mean ?

NOD32's "ancestors" were born around the time the first computer viruses appeared. At that time an extremely popular TV series was being broadcast on Czechoslovak Television ... a series which was later translated into many other languages and became known in many other countries. The name of this TV series was "Nemocnica na Okraji Mesta" ... in English, "Hospital at the Edge of the City". The first viruses attacked disk boot sectors, which are located at the edge of a disk. An antivirus program could in a sense be considered a hospital ... "nemocnica" in the Slovak and Czech languages. We decided to name the newly created antivirus program “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku” ... which in English would read “Hospital at the Edge of the Disk”.

We originally called our program "enn oh dee" ... the name by which it became well known and respected in Eastern European IT circles ... but thanks to worldwide expansion over the past couple of years the program is now almost universally referred to as "nod" ... in fact, some English language reviewers have "given the nod to NOD", and one of the nicknames given to our Australian partner by the VX (virus underground) is "Noddy Roddy".

Today's NOD32 is, of course, entirely different from the original NOD. Several generations of the program were developed over the years to handle ever-changing and increasingly complex computer viruses, finally culminating in the powerful 16-bit NOD-ICE. When the 32-bit processor appeared, a brand new program was created from the ground up to suit this new platform ... and “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku 32”, or "NOD32", was born.

NOD32's core development team has been with us from the very start, and we believe they are the most talented and highly skilled group of virus researchers and antivirus programmers in the world today. They have consistently maintained the unsurpassed quality of the NOD32 Antivirus System since its release in May 1988.... and since that day, NOD32 has not missed a single "in the wild" virus in a Virus Bulletin test. Thanks to their efforts, based on independent evaluation by the professional antivirus experts at Virus Bulletin, NOD32 has consistently provided higher detection efficiency and faster hard disk scanning than any other antivirus program in the world for the past four years.

We've come a long way from being "The little antivirus program with the funny name from the country hardly anyone has ever heard of". Our program still has a funny name, but NOD32 isn't just another “one hit wonder” ... it's a stable antivirus system with a long tradition of being #1, from a company with a sound economic history.

We're here to stay!
    =====

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I know that Eset is headquartered in Slovakia. I was curious though about the popular tv show there that supposedly was the inspiration for NOD's name. It's a neat story and not knowing the language, I had no idea where "NOD" came from and even the 32 was a mystery until now!

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hi Rod, good to see you! Long time no see.

I looked at your site thinking that was probably where this came from but I couldn't find it at your site. Guess my search skills aren't so good. :(

The full explanation at your site is even more interesting. Should be a sticky here I think. :)

The guy who plagarized it has done much worse. He is fraudulently offering a download of NOD32 but when you try to get it you get linked to
    BullGuard instead. He's pulling the same trick on AVG anti virus.

WCB (dslr) says its fraud. Others were saying he is a registered reseller but looks like that is not true.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9765517~mode=flat

6. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Avoid www.nod-32.com like the plague!

> Hi Rod, good to see you! Long time no see.

Yeah ... it's been a while Mele. I've been off the circuit for a few weeks with health problems. I'll email you when I catch up with the weeks of backlogged work.

> I looked at your site thinking that was probably where this came from but I couldn't find it at your site. Guess my search skills aren't so good.

:)

> The full explanation at your site is even more interesting. Should be a sticky here I think. :)

Ask Paul nicely ... he might "stickify" it.

> The guy who plagarized it has done much worse. He is fraudulently offering a download of NOD32 but when you try to get it you get linked to BullGuard instead. He's pulling the same trick on AVG anti virus.

I read a bit about it here and followed the link. I haven't read DSL yet. (I'll go do it now.)

> WCB (dslr) says its fraud. Others were saying he is a registered reseller but looks like that is not true. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9765517~mode=flat

I just read the link, and had a bit of a prowl around. I'm inclined to agree with WCB on this one. The guy is NOT a NOD32 distributor, and we have no "affiliate" program. He has no links to NOD32 on that website anyway ... which rules him right out as a reseller.

The same guy runs antiviruses.com, "Your information source about computer viruses and antivirus software" ... which seems to be an "affiliate" click-through site for several AV programs, with plenty of misleading links to BullGuard scattered around.

A fast check shows that he also owns the domain names pc-cillin-2003.com, mcafe.com, panda-titanium.com, symanetc.com, bullguard.net, and avg-virus.com. A serious search would probably turn up even more ambiguous "lookalike" brand names. Some of these do actually lead to "affiliate" purchase pages for the appropriate programs on "softwareboy", but others are just BullGuard shills.

Do a Google search for "misspelled domains" ... there's a thriving industry dedicated to helping shonks make money out of Internet typos. It looks to me like this is one of them.

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

> The full explanation at your site is even more interesting. Should be a sticky here I think.

Ask Paul nicely ... he might "stickify" it.

Done ;)

regards.

paul

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you Paul! Or "Mahalo" as we say in Hawaii. :) That sticky looks really nice up there. Now everyone can easily know the interesting history of NOD32 and when someone says "That's an odd name. How did it get that?" we can tell them all about it. ;)

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Rod, sorry to hear you've had some health problems. Glad you are back with us. Do email me when you have a chance. I miss our chats.

You know, I went back to your site and found that instantly. Don't know why I had trouble earlier....maybe because I have been fighting Firefox all day...it won't work right on this site and it used be ok here.

I just read your reply at dslr and I have to confess I'm a bit confused by it. I have to agree with our Mod WCB who says:

>I'm wondering why people at Eset and AVG aren't doing anything about it. Those sites have been up for a long time and this is not the first time they're mentioned publicly. Shutting them down shouldn't be a hard task at all. Perhaps someone from those two companies would stop by and let us know.

>"These guys are not outside North America. Their registrar is Go Daddy. A lawsuit might take a long while but a note to those guys from the copyright holder and showing what's posted on that site may actually do wonders. Forget the Copyright, the fraudulent content is enough to shut the domain down.

>A lot of service providers and registrars don't like the hassle and their TOS gives them a lot of power in case they feel like canceling a Domain. Once the domain is no longer registered, they can't serve it anywhere."

I'm also puzzled. Why doesn't Eset do something?

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

My pleasure, Mele ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.