Is this config proper?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kacor, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Hello,

What do you think about this config?

Vista Basic 32-bit (DEP for all and No UAC)
    Winpatrol Pro
    NOD32 AV (RT)
    SuperAntispyware Pro (RT)
    MalwarebytesAM (RT)
    Geswall
    Linkscanner Pro
    Keyscrambler Premium
    Trojan Remover (OD)
    Vista Firewall Control
    Behind a Router

Thanks for your comments indeed.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my own advise from your signiture keep Vista Firewall Control and GesWall:thumb: secure and fast:thumb:for winpatrol too

3. DarkButterfly

DarkButterfly Registered Member

I would just change 2 things.

I would turn UAC on, but would advice to tweak it for no elevation alerts. Then, just set the apps you trust and that require administrator rights to run with them. If you have real time apps that require it, such as LinkScanner Pro will, then you may disable LinkScanner Pro autostart and create a task in Task Scheduler and elevate it's rights. Works like a charm. And who talks about LinkScanner Pro, talks about any other tool. But, that's ultimately up to you.

Turning UAC on would also allow you to run, if that's the case, IE7 in Protected Mode, which will lower it's rights.

I would only run SUPERAntispyware with RT protection. It does a better job than Malwarebytes, according to matt's reviews.

Anyway, just my humble opinion. :)

Best regards

4. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Thank you all for your comments, indeed.

UAC I tried to fiddle with UAC turning on/off using Norton UAC and TweakUAC as well but I found that some of my important apps did not work with UAC on - probably due to some compatibilty issues.

SAS/MBAM I myself was wondering a lot about switching off one of them but I could not decide which one to drop. Surely they have overlaps but the reason why I finally left both was due to the remaining parts that differ.
    DarkButterfly, could you give me some link about matt's reviews? I become really interested.

PLUS I forgot to tell you that other members of the family may also use the machine so I wanted to minimize the number of popups they may encounter - this way using of a HIPS was excluded.

Regards

5. DarkButterfly

6. DarkButterfly

Which browser will you be using?

If IE, then SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search & Destroy preventive measures would be welcome. No TeaTimer (Spybot), though.

7. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Thanks for the links DB. Very interesting reviews. MBAM RT turned on now.

Tried UAC again and realised that exception feature with DEP solved the compatibily issues in case of some of my apps. Norton UAC is ON now.

Mostly I use IE7 together with Geswall Pro, Linkscanner Pro and Keyscrambler Premium + Spywareblaster. Recently I am tasting Google Chrome with Keyscramber.

Best regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.