Is this backup s/w right for me?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Biscuit, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

I've just upgraded from XP to Vista32 Business. I backup to a mobile hard drive connected by Firewire 800. I previously used ntbackup & was happy as I could backup the whole drive & restore selections if required. However with Vista, I've just discovered how awful the inbuilt backup has become & I need some specific backup software.

I need to backup my whole hard drive onto my mobile drive, but I must be able to restore selections if needs, for instance my payroll directory, an Excel file, a DLL that got corrupted etc. I'm concerned that Acronis may be a disk imaging backup so that I won't be able to do this. Can anyone advise please?

2. waynecec

waynecec Registered Member

I have V9 but the concept is the same. You can backup files or create a image of the whole drive, so whole drive restores are very quick. What this software allows, which is great, is the ability to restore single or multiple files from the image itself.

I do a image regularly, and a differential image in between (much smaller and faster) - then I can restore either files or the whole drive at will. User interface is easy to get around.

I like the software and would recommend it.

3. Biscuit

Thanks for the info.

So I can create a backup image, but still restore selected files instead of the whole image?

This sounds good, I've read of Vista issues with this backup. Have the issues been fixed?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Besides doing a restore of a files backup you can make an image backup, which you can then mount as a virtual drive and Explore and search and copy files or directories from.

RE Vsita, what doesn't have issues with it? It's the first release, which is where the real beta test begins. Things should be worked out once Vista SP1 comes out.

5. Biscuit

Thanks for your reply.

I am interested in how to restore specific files or folders from the backup. Can you tell me the steps needed to mount the backup as a virtual drive please?

Regarding Vista compatibility, I agree that there are many issues. However backup is something that I would expect to run well, otherwise what reason to myself & other users have to upgrade? Or are you suggesting that I wait a few months before buying? Unfortunately, I need a backup now! o_O :doubt:

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Browse to the image file in File Explorer, right click on it, select 'Mount'.

All done :)

F.

7. Biscuit

A little easier than I expected... :cool:

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Biscuit,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as it was mentioned above using Acronis True Image you will be able to create the image archive of the entire disk (or system partition only), which can be used to restore the system in case of disaster. The disk/partition image archive, includes the operating system, registry, drivers, software applications and data files, as well as system areas hidden from the user.

In addition, you will be able to perform file-based backup. If you are not concerned about restoration of your operating system along with all settings and applications, but plan to keep safe only certain data (the current project, for example), choose file-level backup.

To restore separate files/folders from image archive you can mount the image (see Chapter 12. "Exploring archives and mounting images" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide) or start the image restoration and select Restore specified files or folders (see 6.3 "Restoring disks/partitions or files from images").

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.