Is this app safe

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by splinter hell, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splinter hell

splinter hell Registered Member

The app is called selectview available at selectview.org. It's purpose is to block banner ads in internet explorer. But I am not sure if it's a safe product beacuse I when I uploaded the installer to virustotal, only Ikarus detected as :not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Dm.i.

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Haven't tried it so can't be sure. But reading the literature on their website, (including forum) and cnet reviews I'd be fairly confident about it.
    Seems to be a while since any development or update has occurred, but that doesn't make it unsafe.
    The ikarus detection is probably heuristically obtained, and if so, more likely to be a fp.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Seems pretty harmless as far as i can tell. I installed it and it appears to do what it claims. Also did a system scan after installing with dr web cureit which came up clean.

4. splinter hell

splinter hell Registered Member

I installed it and none of my security apps. found anything suspicious with selectview and the Ikarus detection must have been flase-positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.