Is this a Phishing scam

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

My Dad got an email today re to update his Commonwealth Bank account and to click on a link in which would take him to the update page. Now the email is from C'Wealth Bank but I cant say whether its a phising scam or a genuine email. Plus do Commonwealth Bank send out emails on Sunday when their branches are closed on Sunday.

CBank.JPG

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: Is this a Phising scam

I doubt that the bank would send an email period. Most banks are aware of phishing scams and to prevent them they just don't contact their customers by email.

bigc

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just check the mail header. If still in doubt, contact their office and ask if they do contact users via e-mail. But i doubt it as it looks like scam. Especialy if whole text is just an image and niot real selectable text.
    At least here in my country banks send such notices via standard mail and not through digital one. And they prefer doing business in person and not through net one or another way. May be not as high tech but certanly far more reliable and phising/scam free.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What they will also do is make it appear a link is going where it's intended but if one was to mouse over that commbank-netbank.com URL link they might see that it might actually be going somewhere else.

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

This is 100% Spam/Junk/Pishing. There are a lots of these 'Bank-Mails' out there in the moment, up to eBay.
    For sure the link you can klick does not link to the main bank page. Do a mouse over and you will see.

7. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Now this is strange, why didnt Bitdefender Pro 9 detect it. I know that BD is meant to be one of the best scanners out there but the other thing is in BD I've disabled the Antispam function as I'm not quite sure if whether by doing this it has caused it to not pick it up.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Banks do not send emails like this out...period. Click on that update link and enter your personal info and someone has all the info they need to hack your bank account. Someone I know did this and a week later his balance was zero and he was a couple thousand in default. Just ask anyone at your bank and they will say steer away. Best thing you can do is find the banks online fraud email address and send it to them...cheers...:eek: :)

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Even if the bank did send you the email, I would not respond to it. Most of the bank scams involve some kind of threatening message about being cancelled out of your account access if you don't respond. Scam artists are becoming more sophisticated when they try to lure you to their bogus site to get your account information. Some build a fake site that looks a lot like the regular site by pirating images from it. Bank of America instituted a site key to verify the site's authenticity when you type in the URL address. I look at any message from a bank like this - If I lost internet access completely (hard drive crash), then if any bank requires me to access my account solely through online means, I would immediately close the account and go elsewhere. I personally would not do business with banks that ONLY allow you do business online (a few of them do that). If you ever get any kind of suspicious email from a bank, it is always best to contact the bank directly to verify the message.

10. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

To prevent others from falling victim to this scam, perhaps you would like to contact your bank on this?

Here is the latest security alert from Commonwealth Bank of Australia dated 18th Sept 2006

http://www.commbank.com.au/NetBank/securityalerts.asp

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  11. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Exactamundo. Credit Card companies/banks will not either, nor will paypal/ebay/amazon etc. NEVER EVER respond to ANY email asking you to click on a URL and enter your information.

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Thanks, luckily my friend caught all the hackers withdrawals before they went through so they were able to reverse them. Think of all the 10's to 100's of thousands of computer newbies out there who don't know better and will just respond to these emails..YIKES!!..:blink: :rolleyes: :eek: :)

13. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

My 1st comment is that I can't tell you wether or not this is a phishing scam, it does look like one though, but I can tell you that you people are all absolutely wrong in the fact that banks do not send emails to their customers, they absolutely do. For example my bank sends me emails at least once a month to let me know something about my account. That being said, it is better to be safe than sorry, I know that the emails are from the bank, but I still do not open them just in case, I just go directly to the banks web page, sign in and look at my messages there.

14. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The bank emailing you to give you information on your account is one thing but a random email with an update link prompting you to enter your log in information is something else. I would say it is a bit questionable and risky....:eek: :cool:

15. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

If you read my statement that is what i said, i was stating to the people that said banks dont email their customers that, it simply isnt true. banks do email their customers, but be careful.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes they do send some email but as the website says they never send emails asking for account details and if you got an email like that report it.

17. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You are correctamundo. I reread your post and indeed it is in there. My foggy post midshift mind didn't decipher the data...cheers...:blink: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.