Is this a PC i.d or ip address issue

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by AaLF, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hi guys.

I didn't find what I was looking for by searching so I have opened a new thread.

We were talking about hiding IPs and someone chipped in that Facebook logs PC IDs. She said one of the security questions that pop up for people to re-open their blocked FB accounts is this instruction message:

"In order to regain access to your account please log in from a computer that you have used before."

Some were a bit sckeptical about FB logging peoples' PC IDs so my question to you guys -

Does that question mean companies like Facebook do trace your PC i.d. or was the question from F.B. misunderstood and its just an ip address issue they're chasing?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is the ip address they are after

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Alright. I feel just a bit smart & vindicated. Thanks.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

While not the issue here, be aware that Machine Names get leaked all over the place. WiFi and Ethernet access in routers at hotels and coffee shops, and in some email headers are some examples. Privacy advocates should always pick innocuous names when installing OS's...or obfuscate them, ie. Steve's Windows box is named 'UbuntuMike'.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.