is this a memory leak?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by chrcol, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

currently on my winxp 32bit install of nod32 v4.40.467 the memory usage for ekrn.exe is this.

151 meg of ram
    146 meg VM size.

now my machine has plenty of ram so those 2 arent really critical, however the following worries me.

7.5 million page faults in 1 day uptime.
    1495 handles.

comparison on 64bit windows 7 install.

memory working set 50meg
    memory private working set 43meg (i think this means excludes shared memory so real memory usage)
    commit size 44meg

14 million page faults o_O
    380 handles

the windows 7 laptop has been up for 4 days.

64bit stuff would typically use more ram so the higher usage on my 32bit install suggests some kind of leak?, the low uptime but high handle usage also suggests a leak of some sort on the 32bit install, the high page faults is a bad sign because both machines have free ram especially the windows 7 machine. The windows 7 machine has 3 gig of ram which task manager reports 1.7gig available commit size 1.3gig. XP machine 4 gig of ram (3.1 gig useable) 2 gig available and commit charge of 1.1gig.

Page faults would typically either mean bad code or heavy swapping, my ram indicates no or little swapping. If I have understood this wrong please correct me but nevertherless the resource usage I would welcome thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.