is this a F-Prot F/P?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iceni60, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i downloaded a program called GSpot and F-Prot thinks it's malware, i couldn't use Jotti's because F-Prot wouldn't let me near the file so i let it delete it. it's the GSpot221.exe download. there is a trojan called GSpot that i think F-Prot is getting muddled up with. can someone let me know if it's a F/P please? i'm certain it is a F/P, but i don't know
    this is the download page don't download it it could be a trojan
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

here's the home page incase you wondered what the program is...
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/index.htm

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

The only one that is flagging it on Jotti's is f-prot. TrojanHunter and TDS-3 don't flag it either... I would send the file to them.

3. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

It gotta be a false positive. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
  4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thanks for your help, NAMOR and hbkh. i'll have alook for it and zip it to them. thanks again :)

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi iceni60,

Looks like a false positive. F-Prot flags the install and uninstall executables, but not gspot.exe or anything else in its program folder. I installed and ran it and got no alerts from BOClean. TDS3 saw nothing in its scan.

Nick

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

F-Prot is calling it W32/Downloader.AGR

7. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I just downloaded it. Kav isn't detecting anything.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi Nick, Ron and Mr2cents :) must be a F/P then, probably because they decided to call it GSpot. you'd think they'd change the name :rolleyes: oh well, what can you do o_O

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

F-Prot is good about getting back to you.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's the page.

Let us know.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I believe it will take a maximum of five days...though I do not have proof.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5 days, i don't think i can wait that long, sounds about right though. i can't install it just incase it is malware can i?. i'll let you know how it goes.

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here is the reply i got from F-Prot Support -

Hello and thank you for your mail.

I downloaded the program from the path you sent and installed it. I then
    scanned it with F-Prot and it was not detected as being infected.

We would appreciate it if you could send us a zipped copy of the file that
    is being detected as infected on your computer for analysis.

Best regards,
    Valtýr Jónasson
    F-Prot Antivirus Technical Support

i tried again after i got this reply last night and i got no alert from F-Prot. i did make a mistake when i filled out the Contact Technical Support page. it asks for the date of the defs you are using. i had had an update by then and therefore didn't have the date for the defs that had flagged GSpot, so i just put in the date of the defs i had in at the time. as they were just one update different from the alerting defs i thought there would be the same F/P, obviously not. i have written and told them but i don't think they are too impressed with me, i don't blame them, they just sent me an automated reply saying they had got mt last email.

*note* i don't have the file any more to zip to them too :oops: does anyone have it? if so do you think i should send it to them if you send it to me?

15. Firecat

Maybe hbkh could help you iceni...But F-Prot support seems nice enough.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

so is that quite common - you get a F/P from not one of the world's most well know programs and it gets fixed with the next update, before you get a chance to tell them? wouldn't that more likely happen with a sig. and not heuristics which i think is what flagged in my case? can you tell if it was a sig. or heuristics it was flagged as W32/Downloader.AGR, it's not important i'm just interested to learn something :D

17. Firecat

W32/Downloader.AGR seems to be a sort of 'generic' signature, where a malware type was identified as a certain type dubbed '.AGR'

Thats all I know...Heuristic engines are very very complex.

Regards,
    Firecat

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Firecat and Ron. i know what W32/Downloader means so is the AGR part the part that makes you think it is generic?
    i can't complain, not that i want to :D i'm going to go and check my email to see if they have emailed me again, i don't think they will have after i gave them the wrong info. :oops:

20. Firecat

Well I think its a generic signature becuase of the following:

1)First of all its a downloader i.e. it is a file dropped by a Trojan which connects to malicious web sites to download more malware

2)If it was simply identified as W32/Downloader, then it might be heuristic, but the .AGR says that the generic signatures classified it as a specific type of downloader.

This is why I say it was detected by a generic signature.

Loved the response time, but it does not apply to me because I always ask 'unusual' doubts which takes companies a longer time to answer...Thats what happened with Trend Micro and MicroWorld. Trend took two days instead of the normal one day and MicroWorld took up to 5 days (normally its less than a day). All of these were specific to my doubts of course...dunno why, guess its my bad luck!

Regards,
    Firecat

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

W32/Downloader.AGR is a signature detection.
    W32/Downloader is a malware "name" while AGR is it's revision.
    Similar to MyDoom-A, MyDoom-B, MyDoom-C etc, but there is so many Downloaders that they have reached 3 "digit" revision name/number.
    For example avast! detects Win32:SpyBot-1263.
    This is a signature detection,first part is the name,while numbers mean which one is.

22. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

hey iceni, do you want the gspot.exe file, or the installer? I can send you the gspot.exe but I don't have the installer for the stand alone program because it came as part of my codec pack, sorry. Great tool, I use it often.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi thanks for all your help, malware is a subject i want to learn about so it's nice to have your help with this.
    hi, erikguy. sorry for being abit slow here :oops: i think i'll be OK now i have re-downloaded the file and, with the latest F-Prot updates, the download is no longer flagged by F-Prot. thank you for your offer though :)

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just want to say it makes sense now. i don't know why i wasn't sure in the first place. if there are letters identifying which version it is, it's not possible it could be heuristics :oops:

25. Firecat

You know, this happens a lot. Recently with AVG Anti-Virus certain files in EA Games folders were being detected as infected with W32/Mkar. Repeated emails to Grisoft had replies asking whether the game copy was pirated, etc...And guess what, it was fixed with next update without notification!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.