Is there some way to set the screen resolution for your profile on an XP machine?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I sometimes use a shared PC and I am getting tired of changing the resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. I would like to have the resolution set automatically. Does anyone know how this can be done?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Close,

According to M$, not possible without third party intervention. There's a payware program called Resolution Manager listed on snapfiles, and a few link's to other such app's which I haven't investigated on Kelly's Korner, A to Z's *R* page under resolution. Possibly .... some user logon script that could be implemented to achieve your mean's, but I'm not sure how to work-around M$ engineer's just yet. :D

Hopefully someone can hook you up with a freeware program I'm currently unaware of?

GF

3. Close_Hauled

Something so simple, yet so difficult! Thanks for the info.

How are you doing? Been a while.

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

5. Close_Hauled

Thanks. I will give it a spin.

6. GlobalForce

Good Close, and yourself? Sailing away on that new boat yet? :D
    ~ Something else that may suffice buddy, short of a logon script ~

Thank's too Tex for the follow-through, appreciated. :cool:

GF

7. Close_Hauled

Almost there. I have the money saved, I just have a few minor things to take care of.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Are you using the same account?
    Because if you use different accounts, you can have different resolutions.
    Mrk

9. GlobalForce

Close,

I decided to give that baby from my previous post a whirl after setting a shortcut according to the readme (Fast User Switching disabled).
    XP_UserDisplay does prompt individual user's per first run to choose screen size and color depth, additionally remembering, then saving these setting's to apply at logon (screenshot). I noticed a slight increase in both boot and shutdown (or perhap's my imagination), also a slight hesitation as the program executes or, swap's resolution.

It managed to re-arrange my desktop from left to right, top to bottom, nothing overly concerning. Opening anything from the start menu bring's it back top to bottom, left to right (not the same) but DOESN'T remember icon placement! Non-installing, just delete the shortcut and executable along with a couple of registry reference's located by a "Doug's" search. It does work, though I've yet to send him an e-mail (sure he know's anyway). ;)

To note; 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x768, 1280x960 and 1280x1024 resolution's are supported along with color bit-rates of 8, 16, 24 and 32. Setting's are NOT saved under Fast User Switching. Instead, you have the option of creating either a hot-key combo or quick-launch to apply setting's, no other intervention beyond this required.

All in all not bad considering I'm rather trusting of Mr. Knox and his useful utilities, proven performer's. Personally though, I think I'd prefer trying to persuade :shifty: the ahem .... *other* user into accepting *my* :D resolution setting's. The less processes starting at boot, the better!

Attached Files:

10. Close_Hauled

This would be my preferred choice as well. :cautious:

Interpolated LCD resolutions are the worst. Why people choose them is beyond me.

Thanks for the input. I am going to go ahead and install this utility on a test machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.