is there free portable vpn to use?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by taleblou, Mar 10, 2014.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I am looking for a free portable VPN. A vpn that does not need to install and can simply run.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I was hoping to find a portable VPN as well and came across this on Hacker10:

It's not available for commercial use unfortunately. I'm presuming your intending to use this on third party systems? If so, the only options that I'm currently aware of would be:

(1) use a live disk on the system and then install a free VPN client. Not preferable as this would be a bit more time consuming. Also this won't work if the IT department overseeing the network takes measures to protect against booting from live disks.

(2) set up a VPN on your own portable device (laptop, net-book, tablet, or smartphone) and work from here. You would have control over the client side hardware, OS and software. If don't want to drag around laptop, you could achieve similar results with more steps by tethering to a smaller portable device like a smartphone and using its wireless connection to transfer your data. Keep in mind that VPN on mobile devices isn't bullet proof. Also note that some public networks may block the ports used by the VPN client. Best to do some testing.

Source:
    httx://www.tutus.se/products/farist-micro.html

3. taleblou

no not 3rd party system but mine and I do not want vpn installed on my pc. I did extensive searches and the only portable VPN I could find was JonDo which you can choose to use portable or desktop and the portable runs from USB. The free version has slow servers (50 to 60kb/s download). It has a special firefox built browser to navigate.

This has to do for now, until finding a better one.

link to JonDo: -http://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/jondo.html

4. taleblou

Something I like about JonDo VPN was that it uses different countries for entrance (your choice) and changes to another country on exit node. In my case it used UK for entrance node and Austria for exit node.

Also I am using via a USB stick.

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I haven't much experience with JonDo. I played with it a little bit, along with tor, but ended up going back to my own custom Firefox configuration. I think its hardened for my needs and SecurityKISS is sufficient for my light anonymity needs. Glad to hear you found something. Hopefully, in light of Snowden, more progress is made in this area. Wish I could have been more helpful, but my own searches typically turn up the same VPN and SSH recommendations. All of which are not portable in the sense that your looking for.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Those plus free are extreme conditions ;)

As far as I know, there are no VPNs that don't require client software. You can install VPN clients on portable routers, but that's a 3rd-party system. And it would hardly be worth it for a free VPN, with limited bandwidth and throughput.

There are proxies available via HTTPS, but that's much less secure than a VPN.

7. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

You can use Vpngate for free and get decent bandwidth and a selection of servers and exit nodes but you have to use either the Vpngate Softether or Openvpn client software on a PC. It is possible to set it up without client software on Android devices but it is not easy to switch servers.

Vpngate has improved dramatically over the last year and, as far as I'm concerned, as good as many paid vpn services as long as you don't need huge amounts of bandwidth. After using Security Kiss for 3 months, I am back to VPN gate and I'm actually getting better bandwidth a lot of the time.

I have a laptop dedicated to anonymous surfing set up with a vpn. At this point I have tried Security Kiss and Vpngate.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

9. caspian

Hey I just answered my own question. I just uninstalled OpenVPN in Shadow Mode so it will be there when I restart. I installed portable OpenVPN in a truecrypt folder and put the config files for Riseup in the data/config folder. I ran portable OpenVPN and it installed drivers. So you do have to have that permission. But anyway, I right clicked and logged into Riseup using portable OpenVPN.

So now if I am visiting a friend or relative I can connect to riseup from a USB and use a portable browser. Pretty cool.

10. Valder

Valder Registered Member

This one is no longer maintained. What's next?

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can use portable Chrome and install something like Zenmate on it...

12. Valder

Valder Registered Member

Will that tunnel all my Internet traffic through VPN? I don't think so.

13. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Zenmate fails a DNS leak test. It is an encrypting proxy, not a true VPN.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well you can try a LiveCD, don't have a recommendation.

15. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I would like to follow up on the portable "hardware" mentioned above. A small and cheap hardware router (tinyfirewall, many others) might be just what you need. You can easily use TOR on one of those so the circuit changes all the time. I don't know what your throughput needs are. For general surfing around like you seem to need, these might be just the answer for you.

Forensic consideration: Please understand this paragraph might not be needed, but I wanted to make sure you "think about" this. Even though you are not installing a VPN software/client (for some reason you don't want to) the usage tracks from your internet activity are still fully inside your operating system. As a forensic "person" the physical security of your machine is not assisted at all with a hardware router or any other outside mechanism. Those devices if used properly will assist in your anonymity. Should the machine fall into an adversary's hands, you still have absolute exposure to internet tracks. Therefore, if you have the ownership and authority to fully encrypt the drive then I recommend doing so. Again, please excuse me if this is obvious to you. I am only trying to help and some don't really think these things through completely.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  16. caspian

Are you a forensic expert? I'd be curious what you think about Shadow Defender for preventing personal data being recorded. You can encrypt the write cache in SD and of course you can encrypt your pagefile. Then use a portable browser sandboxed from within a tryecrypt container. How much data do you think would be saved after reboot?

17. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I have no experience with Shadow Defender. Sorry!

18. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Try Hotspot Shield. It is a free VPN that works on portable devices such as iPads.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.