Is there any software that can detect (new) phishing links?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Flacon, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flacon

Flacon Registered Member

I received an email today (on my gmail account) on behalf of an elderly relative.
    The message prompted me to click on a google docs link*. The link was, of course pointing to a phishing site.

I did click it, mainly to see whether either BD Total Security 2014 (on auto pilot) or MBAM (enabled) would trigger any alert but none did. (I suppose there's no way for them to tel it's not a legit page unless already reported and added to their database).

Later on I found out the email was bcc-ed to a good part of that person's address list and some did enter the login details.

My question is, just like the title: is there a software that can guess that link is a scam (without checking against a database) and at least raise a flag?

Thanks!

* If it's not against the rules, I can post the link as well.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Search for phishing heuristics in a web search engine.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am not aware of any off hand. I use WOT, the block list in Emsisoft and common sense.

4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

6. Flacon

Flacon Registered Member

Thank you for your replies.

None of my browsers (Chrome, FF, Opera, IE) said anything yesterday about the link being risky. Today, however, all but IE block the site and warn about nefarious content. I suppose many other people reported the link just like I did and it got put on the blocking lists.

The funny part is that IE was the browser I used to report the site in the first place and it still allows me to open it.

This let me test the Anti-Phishing Domain Advisor that perit linked but it doesn't seem to do anything. It just sits in the systray while IE loads the site. But I can't tell whether this happens because of the software or the browser.

I guess I'll keep looking. The "phishing heuristics" seems to be a good trail. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.