Is there any security setup I can use to be 100% sure of safety?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SpongeGuard, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpongeGuard

SpongeGuard Registered Member

My current setup consists of
    Prevx Free + SafeOnline, Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials, Sandboxie, and Hitman Pro. I have Prevx and MSE set for real-time protection, and the rest are on demand "second opinion" scanners.

The thing I am curious about, however, is if there is anything that this combination of products would be unable to detect? I'm not talking about zero-day attacks, either, snice i know I haven't been infected at all in the last few days (I don't think I am infected, nor have I ever been, but I am paranoid as all hell).

Also, say I had something malicious that was blocking scanners. I'd likely see something in either task manager, hijackthis, or just a noticeable change in system performance, correct?

Thanks for your time, all.

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Ur setup + common sense = 100 % safety

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

You've got sandboxie - delete contents on exit = 100% protection

Dont get caught up in having 30-different programs that members here seem to love to do.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

There is no 100% protection. Maybe if you had an image of a computer known to be clean. But heck we can't even be sure new computers are clean anymore. As for sandboxie IIRC there have been vulnerabilities in the past when SBIE was combined with some HIPS programs. If you are concerned about having a computer you are 100% sure is clean then you should probably take a look at Linux and see what you think of it. Maybe even have a dual boot with Windows and Linux. I think Linux is probably as close to 100% as you can probably get.

But even so, you still have to be concerned about online accounts (email, paypal, amazon, etc) getting hacked which may or may not have anything to do with which system you run or or safe your set up has become.

5. bollity

bollity Registered Member

i think on the internet there is no 100% safty. if you want 100% safty disconnect from the internet.don't make safty cause you madness.just enjoy.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i read somewhere today that there is presently no tools that can guarantee 100% that a computer hasn't been compromised.

7. SpongeGuard

This is pretty much what I already thought

Now, I have one more question - I notice that Hitman Pro always detects 3 cookies (fastclick, atdmt, one other), and that it always deletes them. However, I run ALL of my browsers sandboxed, so how do these cookies always get back?

Well, it turns out it's the WoW launcher putting these 3 cookies on my system.
    I dunno if other applications do, but I know for a fact this one does.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

The only other thing i would recommend is a virtualization software like Shadow Defender. I have Shadow Defender on all my machines. All you would have to do is reboot if something slipped through, and your back to a clean machine. It would be really hard to find malware that would defeat Shadow Defender, and if there is one in the wild that exist then it would be most likely stopped by one of your other security apps. It uses very little memory / resources, and it will not interfere with your other security apps.

9. moontan

the only problem with this is that if the malware operates stealthily and silently then you would not know it was there in the first place.
    it could steal your info and you'd never know about it.
    until the teller at the bank told you there's no money left in your bank account. ;)

which why i think something else like Sandboxie/Defensewall/Geswall should also be used.
    ----------------------------------------------
    edit:
    i just noticed the OP assortment of defense.
    i thought you meant using Shadow Defender alone by itself.
    my bad! :ouch:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. SpongeGuard

Don't forget to combine that with either Keyscrambler or SafeOnline :)

11. moontan

right, i just edited my post above because i spoke too fast. ;)

12. weirddemon

weirddemon Registered Member

That's common sense, wouldn't you agree? ;)

Nothing is perfect and so no software combination will ever be 100% secure.

For every good genius, there's a bad one :D

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Free AV= Avira or Avast (free)
    Firewall=Online Armor Free / Private Firewall
    MBAM free & SAS free
    Sandboxie
    KeyScrambler

14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

No, there is none.

15. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Although I agree but I still think with your setup + commonsense.exe it can be achievable..just incase keep a clean image of ur system in a dvd I guess:thumb:

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

HERE HERE Boost smart man. to much paranoia floating around these parts with software overload, LOL...

AppGuard, Sandboxie, Avira Premium... (3 Nice apps and a nice lightweight combination, without any overkill) - Then just buy an inexpensive NetGear hardware firewall.

Also for simplicity use Image For Windows and keep a clean image backup in case of mishap.

READ MY SIG! ;)

P.S. Or get Linux installed and kiss all this software madness goodbye, LOL! ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.