Is there any program which can hide my Web Browser Version, OS, IP ?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Guzz, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guzz

Guzz Registered Member

Hi guys

In order to protect my privacy while on the internet, i wonder if is there any program which is able to hide my OS, browser version, ip ? I know that I can hide my IP by using proxies but I heard that its not secure and that it slows your connection down .. so i wonder if is there an alternative way to hide it ?

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

format C?:)

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

There's far more to online privacy than just hiding your browser version or IP address. To control what information your browser sends about you to websites (see Network-Tools' Connection Analysis or BrowserSpy for examples) you need a webfilter like the free Proxomitron (WebWasher Classic is easier to use and free for personal use, but lacks Proxomitron's power). These will not slow down your connection - indeed by filtering out advertising they can greatly improve the apparent speed of web page access.

To hide your IP address from websites you visit (not that most will be able to do much with it), any proxy server will do (though most will also log your address so your still being monitored). To prevent your ISP from logging your activities (which many are now legally required to you), you have to use an anonymizing proxy which encrypts the connection between your PC and the proxy server - see the Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools thread for a good discussion on this. All of these will slow down your connection so you have to decide whether you value privacy or convenience.

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I was recently discussing this with a friend as apparently some websites, mainly shopping I believe, have started showing your IP at the bottom of the page. Probably to try and prevent missuse.

Before using software of this kind, you should check a few things first, some forums, including wilders I believe, have their websites or forums set up so that people using such tools cannot enter or post in the forum or website.

Jimbob

5. what??

what?? Guest

How the heck does this prevent missue?

Yes some sites or forums block well known annyomity ip blocks. JAP for example.

6. Jimbob1989

Shows the user that the website owners know who you are, maybe.

Jimbob

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

What the heck is annyomity? EDIT; and missue

8. Jimbob1989

Good point :D

9. Guzz

Guzz Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Im already using Proxomitron and I like it a lot, since its very efficient .. my firefox gets rid of almost all ads. I think that the web filter in Outpost is also very good, but as Im using Look'n'Stop, I combine it with Proxomitron. Hey Paranoid, do you know any site where I can get enhanced config files to my proxomitron ? I heard that some guys developed config files that makes proxomitron more efficient ..

10. "some forums, including wilders I believe, have their websites or forums set up so that people using such tools cannot enter or post in the forum or website."

Really? <g>

11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

In Sygate Personal Firewall PRO, the ``stealth mode browsing'' option can do that.

12. Jimbob1989

Please check what you just said. 'Sygate Personal Firewall Proffessional' o_O

Jimbob

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here are some config sets, hopefully someone will be able to advice which will be best, for what and whom :)

http://www.geocities.com/u82011729/prox/
    http://www.jd5000.net/proxo/
    theres also SIDKI's set and JakxPack's i dont know where to get them o_O . i'd like to find out too about maybe which config sets are best, and what should be merged together. thanks :)

14. Jimbob1989

I know that if I enter the forum with Steganos Internet Anonym Pro 7 Switched on, it will not allow me to enter. Maybe I could if it lowered the frequency of an IP change.

On another note. Does your Operating System appear as the operating system instaled on the proxy?

Jimbob

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  15. nadirah

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

16. Jimbob1989

Is it a Personal or Proffessional Version? o_O

Jimbob

17. nadirah

It's a professional version. The product's name is Sygate Personal Firewall, it has a free and professional version.

The professional version has more advanced features compared to the free version.

18. Jimbob1989

Sorry about that because I wasn't sure if you mean the personal or proffessional version from the name you gave it :)

Jimbob

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

To be more precise, Sygate's "Stealth Mode" option can disguise the OS and browser version - it does not hide the IP address.

Perhaps more importantly, Sygate's localhost vulnerability (it cannot filter any traffic going to the 127.0.0.1 address) makes it unsuitable for use with anonymizing software like JAP or Tor (or webfilters like Proxomitron or WebWasher) where browsers have to connect to it via 127.0.0.1, since any program (including malware) could then connect to such software and gain Internet access without being restricted by Sygate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.