Is there an independent tester for just free AVs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I love AV-Comparatives because of their large malware sample size, and the different types of tests they run, but (with the exception of Avast!), they only test paid products. Is there some organization that is like AV-Comparatives but tests just free AVs? I would like to know what free AV has the highest detection rate because I may switch from Avast! to it once GeSWall 3 comes out, because I will only need a basic AV that pays attention to programs I mark as trusted, rather than scan the web, have HIPS, behavior, sandbox, etc. Sorry if I'm unclear.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It sounds like Avira Free would fit the description. As for a testing org for free only sorry I"ve no idea.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Microsoft Security Essentials, Panda Cloud, and AVG Free are other good alternatives.

4. The Hammer

Do they all lack a web (http) scanner in accordance with the OP's defined criteria?

5. Brandonn2010

I guess I was a bit wrong. It is okay if it scans the web, I just realize I can go with something a lot simpler, as long as it has the best detection. I just won't have to worry about drive-by downloads once GeSWall 64-bit version comes out, just a malicious download infecting me once I mark it as trusted.

In the end I will probably stick with Avast!. It doesn't have the best detection rates, but it has mostly worked smoothly for me. I know Avira Personal has better detection rates, at least according to Virus Bulletin, but I've heard they have problems with their updater.

As for a tester of free AVs, that's a shame. Maybe other companies will follow Avast!'s example and have their free versions participate in AV-Comparatives.

6. The Hammer

Brandonn2010 your current setup is excellent. But it's up to you.

7. Brandonn2010

I actually realized Virus Bulletin shows the reactive and proactive rates for all free and paid products. Does anyone know their sample size?

8. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

AV-Comparatives also adds free products to test, what happens is that they must first go through an admission test.

Sample sizes are around 500,000 samples for VB100 and +180,000 in weekly RAP.
    But the hardest thing in this test is to achieve 0 false positives. One thing that most products fail

9. mimuweb

mimuweb Registered Member

Do you know -www.virussign.com?-

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  10. Brandonn2010

Oh wow, that's good. I remember Avira Personal did best detection wise, and it did better than Avira Premium somehow. That's always been my backup choice if Avast! goes sour. I'll wait to see if they fix their updater and GUI in version 11. Anyone know when AV Comparatives comes out with their next comparative? I though it was supposed to come out this month?

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The test will come out a little later this year since the testing started first in mid March.

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I don't see the point of AV-C testing only the free AVs in an independent test, unless they really want to. Why? Because it won't prove our point that the paid solutions aren't that much better than the free solutions like avast!, AVG, Avira, Panda Cloud, etc. AV-C tests the nantivirus product, correct? Not the IS product? If you've noticed, avast! free IS apart of avast's product solutions. Its the same thing as Norton AV, Kaspersky AV, Panda AV, etc, the only difference being it is free. AVG Free is good enough to join the AV-C.

Avira treats Personal like its apart of its three products, sort of. Downfall is that Avira probably won't include Personal in the AV-C because it doesn't have enough layers of protection. Only one. If Avira were to add the ProActiv Guard and Antidrive-by OR Web Guard in the free version, then I think Avira Personal would be good enough to join the AV-C. Though I doubt this will happen. ;)

13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Avast, AVG, AVIRA (and MSE anyway) are taking part in the detection tests of AV-Comparatives with their free versions this year.

14. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Cool. :D

But would Avira Personal survive? Both avast! and AVG have more than one layer of protection. :doubt:

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

In the on-demand test only the detection rate is tested, which does not really differ in those products between free and paid version.

16. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Oh, just on demand detection. Okay then. :p

17. Brandonn2010

That's cool. Can't wait for them to release their latest comparative.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

19. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You are welcome!

21. The Hammer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.