Is there an HTML editor with "office"-like functionality?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by paulescobar, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

Edit an HTML document in an "office"-like software?

What I'd like to know

Is there any "office"-like software which can edit an HTML document...the way "Microsoft Word" edits a ".doc" file?

I like to create software tutorials for offline use (typically assisting others, or referencing info for myself).

So what I'll typically do is create "step-by-step" guides - fully utilizing these "office" editing functions:
    1. Text formatting (bold, italic, etc.)
    2. Search & Replace (very important!)
    3. Tables (multi-column)
    4. Bullet points & Numbered lists
    5. Attachment embedding (not streaming, only attachment)
    6. Images (all major formats, full size, resized)
    7. No page breaks! (very important!)

Please suggest any "Office"-like software which can successfully edit HTML documents.

NOTE: I have already used "Microsoft Word" to edit an HTML document. It usually handles pasted screenshots in an annoying manner, so I would like to explore alternative software.

If you'd like to know why I've decided upon the "HTML" format, please read the following explanation:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

3. paulescobar

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, that list gives me little clue as to whether the listed softwares meet my "office"-style usage and editing requirements.

Obviously, if no can answer from personal experience...I'll have to try those programs one-by-one. :ouch:

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Try SeaMonkey.

5. paulescobar

To all,

I have clarified the original post (unfortunately, the topic title cannot be changed).

After exploring the list of "HTML Editors", I was not very impressed. Naturally, they have GUI's geared towards complex web design...rather than "office"-style usage.

Then I realized that if "Microsoft Word" could open & edit an HTML file, retaining full "office"-style editing functions...perhaps other "Office" suites can as well?

So I am looking into alternative "office" products like Corel & OpenOffice. I will see how they handle HTML documents.

Obviously, I'd appreciate anyone's peronsal experience on this matter.

Perhaps you already have some "office"-style software installed and can edit an HTML document in the manner I described in my original post (pasting screenshots from clipboard, bullet lists, tables).

Regardless, I will put my VmWare to work and report back when I find a solution.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

One way you could pare the list down would be to stick to Free and non-proprietary products and include the 3 free discontinued Microsoft products, do try Seamonkey.

-- Tom

7. paulescobar

Thanks Tom.

Unfortunately, my original post was a bit confused. I should have asked about office-software which could edit HTML files.

I have clarified my original post...and you can also see more specifics in the post above your latest.

Also, I understand your point about paring things down. But as a side-note for others: since the HTML document format is free/universally readable...I don't mind paying for software which provides the office-editing functionality I require.

8. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

SeaMonkey does everything you want easily. If you know working with office, the WYSIWYG editor included with SeaMonkey will be piece of cake. In fact any decent WYSIWYG editor (Amaya, Kompozer) would edit html files easily and have word like interface.

9. paulescobar

Wroll,

I visited their site and did not see any WYSIWYG GUI in the screenshots.
    That is why I previously commented that these HTML editors look more "code-based" than "office-like".

I will follow your advice and give those specific softwares a try.

Thanks for correcting me.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

paulscobar,

What do you mean by office-like ?

Adobe Dreamweaver is what I see repeatedly being used over the years for WYSIWYG editing.

11. paulescobar

Well, I'm basically doing local document editing...with one peculiarity: I'd like to save my documents in the HTML format.

What I mean by "office-like software" is that - like "Microsoft Office" - all the major editing functions (mentioned in my original post) should be presented in the GUI as buttons/inputs. I should NOT have to code.

On "DreamWeaver", I have that installed as part of CS5...but as I am not a web-guy...have never used it. Will definitely check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.