Is there a user guide?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by act8192, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Where can I find a user manual for this firewall?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is an help file that comes with the Installation.
    Also http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq.htm
    Also look at the Useful post sticky

If there is something specific you cannot find, then first try searching the forum (there is a search at the top of the forum). If you cannot find what you are looking for, then just post to forum.

- Stem

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

4. act8192

Thanks.
    The .chm sort of file was precisely what I was looking for. All in one place. Before installation.
    I didn't want to install before reading the user guide since I may not want it. Once installed, the clock is ticking while I try to figure out how to work it. Just my weirdness, I suppose :)

5. act8192

1. Does the licence include product updates forever or do we need to buy and get a new licence with each revision?
    2. Can LookNstop be moved from a test computer to another or will that require a new licence? I missed out on my 30 day trial, used it only for two days, uninstalled, and I think by now the trial is over :(
    3. I had some trouble adding OpenDNS servers to a rule. The screen kept insisting that the IP format is wrong and was, I think, suggesting IPv6 format. I'm on IPv4. Does this mean the IP type has to be set for every rule?

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This is in the FAQ:
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq_problems.htm#renewal
    Yes, you can install it on another test computer and have again 30 days trial.
    Yes, most of the time, the ethernet type has to be specified for every rule. IP fields (Protocol, ports, IP@...) are valid only if the IP type is IP, IPV4, or IPV6.
    In addition, if you are creating a rule specifying only an IPV4 address, the Ethernet Type should be IPV4.

The only case where the Ethernet Type is not required is when you create a rule with just MAC/Ethernet address selections (because these fields are valid whatever the ethernet frame).

Regards,

Frederic

7. act8192

1. oooops! ok :)
    2. ok. Might try it again. Initially I got scared by the complexity and the unique design, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might like it.
    3. thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Just took my by surprise (not the first one in the firewall business).

8. act8192

Allow me to ask one more question, a make or break one at that.
    1. Can I make a rule for local host proxy for 127.0.0.1 for such AV products' ports such as NOD32 (30606), AntiviPremium (44080), Avast (12080) to be used by the browsers, updaters and few other port 80 using applications?
    AND
    2. can I then make a rule to block ALL other applications from getting at the the proxy port as a tunnel out to the wicked world out there?

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No, unfortunately, it is not possible to make rules for local connections :(
    They are not visible by the packet filter/internet filtering.
    The loopback address is automatically allowed by the application filtering (so if you specify an IP @ in an application rule, it has no effect).

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.