Is there a special way to configure the spam control?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Conan, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conan

Conan Registered Member

I have noticed since I installed ESS V4 that the spam control has not gotten any better. I am receiving the same spam emails from the same addresses-even though I click the "spam address' button or the "spam" button. The spam settings seem pretty basic and there is no further modifications I can do. I have noticed that the addresses for spam are appearing in the blacklist log. Any ideas besides continue clicking the spam buttons? thanks!

BTW, I am using Outlook Express.

2. DannyT

DannyT ESET Support

Conan,

We have released build 4.437 currently out.For the spam feature to work correctly.

There must be two things that are done.

1. Blacklist / Spam Address
    2. This is spam

Now when you select a message or multiple ones.
    It will direct the message(s) to the ESET SPAM folder. You will need to select the latter. It should start recognizing the pattern and attempt to filter your email.

Let us know if you still have that problem , try over 2 - 3 days.

Cheers!

3. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

I have noticed that the antispam module by default adds all addresses from my address book to the white list.
    Moreover, it adds my own e-mail address to the "exclusion list" (I did read the help item on this but I'm still unclear what the purpose of the exclusion list is).

So, to make a long story short: You might try to remove all the automatically added addresses from the white list (and forbid ESS to add them again) plus remove your own address(es) from the "exclusion list".
    The reason for this being, that almost all spam comes with faked sender address (some clever guys even make it the same as the recipient address).
    Having your own address in an "exclusion" list therefor doesn't look like such a bright idea.

somebody from ESET please correct me, if this is a dumb-ass idea

4. GhostBeGone

GhostBeGone Registered Member

I would really like to remove my addresses from the exclusion list but ESS keeps putting back in. Does anyone know how to prevent ESS from putting back in?

Thanks,

Wayne

5. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

- go to the Advanced Setup screen (F5)
    - open the [+] "Antispam module" section
    - click "Adress books"
    - unselect whatever you don't want eset to add automatically

6. GhostBeGone

Thanks for your reply...

But I want to be able to add from Address books automatically. I just don't want it to automatically put my addresses in the Antispam exclusion list.

Am I not seeing someting?

Thanks,

Wayne

7. GhostBeGone

Looking at this again, does the last option ONLY choose your email addresses?

Somehow I did not read it that way but looked at it again after I sent my reply to your message.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.